Alex and Ani founder and designer Carolyn Rafaelian has made creating positive energy her life’s work.
She infuses every piece of jewelry she creates with “vital force,” donates portions of the company’s proceeds to charity, and uses eco-friendly, conscious materials and practices.
The abundance of good fortune flowing back to her will make you believe in karma: Alex and Ani has become a huge sensation since its debut in 2004, with tons of stores and a massive celebrity following (Beyonce and Brooklyn Decker sport the bangles). And Rafaelian is working on launching additional products, like a natural beauty line, which, she says, is an outcome of her positive prana mantra.
“Being comfortable in your own skin and in integrity with your heart makes you beautiful. I believe that you radiate with the energy that you embrace, so I surround myself with positive people and love,” she explains. “I take good care of my skin so that my inner light can shine out. I don’t wear make up or anything harmful or toxic to the face.”
Here are the clean products she swears by. —Lisa Elaine Held
1. Moroccan Oil Intense Curl Cream ($48) This nurturing cream perfectly complements beautiful curly hair. Natural ingredients like argan oil and vitamins help keep my hair looking shiny, smooth, and truly healthy.
2. Young Blood Mineral Lengthening Mascara ($26) Your eyes are precious. Wearing mascara that is free of talc, perfume, and chemical is important. This mascara is crafted with essential amino acids, B vitamins, and aloe and is the perfect way to enhance your natural beauty.
3. Farmaesthetics Herbal Hydration Complex Remedy Reserve Mask ($48) Your skin can go through a lot in a day. I use this preventative skin moisturizing mask that’s created with 100 percent natural ingredients. It gives my skin a healthy glow.
4. Alex and Ani Light and Ignite Candles ($12-$52) These candles burn a bright flame of intention and a blessing of celebration that infuses your life with positive energy. Each has its own signature scent, making them perfect for any mood.
5. Aveeno Positively Radiant Skin Brightening Daily Scrub ($5.84) This scrub instantly brightens my skin. The formula utilizes exfoliating beads that leave my face feeling smooth and soft. I love that it’s a tough daily cleanser yet gentle enough for my sensitive skin.
For more information, visit www.alexandani.com