As inmate Brook Soso on Orange Is The New Black, actor Kimiko Glenn is in an unusual situation for her line of work: she wears little to no makeup on screen.
In fact, the most makeup she’s worn on the show was when her character was on hunger strike and the makeup artists had to pale her lips and put bags under her eyes. Being this kind of camera-ready means Glenn has to take extra good care of her skin.
“I have genetically okay skin, which is nice,” the Phoenix native says. “But I’ll break out if I’m stressed or not eating well, or if I sleep with my makeup on,” which she does wear in her life off-camera.
Glenn, who’s a vegetarian, also does yoga at Yoga to the People in New York City to deal with stress, and uses hydrating natural beauty products to keep her skin glowing.
“I’ve started oil cleansing, and that’s really helped keep my skin calm,” she says. “I also use rosewater and glycerin spray before I moisturize, and that locks the moisture in.” Here’s what else the Netflix star loves to use on her skin before stepping into the spotlight. —Jamie McKillop
1. Josie Maran Argan Matchmaker Serum Foundation ($56) I love Josie Maran. She’s one of my top favorite brands. This serum goes on white [and then blends to] match your skin color. People can’t tell I’m wearing makeup. I feel like the argan oil hydrates my skin—and it has a light coverage you can build off of.
2. Lavanila Laboratories The Healthy Deodorant ($14) My experience with natural deodorants is that certain ones can burn and be really painful. A lot of them are roll-on too, which I find hard to apply. And a lot don’t do anything, so you’re still stinky. I found that this feels like your pharmacy brand deodorant. Apply it and you’re done. I don’t have to reapply it throughout the day. It’s the first natural one I’ve tried that really worked.
3. Board and Batten Cleansing and Conditioning Balm ($60) I started using this because it was given to me. You massage it into your face and it removes the makeup that you wipe off with a little towel. A lot of times cleansers strip your face and I love that this doesn’t do that. Afterwards I feel like I don’t need moisturizer. Athough, if it’s winter I’ll still put a little on. After I started using this, makeup artists started to tell me I had beautiful skin, which is a good sign.
4. Dr. Hauschka Melissa Day Cream ($34) I’m a huge fan of all Dr. Hauschka’s products. My skin really takes to it. This moisturizer goes on matte, but it’s still really moisturizing. I can put on my makeup over it and not feel like an oil monster.
5. Burt’s Bees Replenishing Lip Balm with Pomegranate Oil ($2.99 each or $12 for five) I love Burt’s Bees. I’m kind of addicted. I always have it in my pocket on set or I’m asking the makeup people to come reapply it. It’s not too sticky or too shiny. It has a nice light shine. It almost looks like a little glow.
For more information, visit www.kimikoglenn.com