Mahri Relin’s fitness career has always required her to look her best—while sweating.
As Broadway dancer to Tracy Anderson trainer and Flybarre instructor—and now as founder of her own dance cardio-toning method, Body Conceptions—keeping her makeup in place and her skin glowing is part of the biz.
“As a life-long stage performer, I enjoy wearing makeup,” Relin explains. “I also want to feel pretty and strong in my work and daily life.”
Here are the five products (or practices) this beauty and fitness dynamo swears by.
1. BareMinerals Original SPF 15 Foundation ($27) I learned about BareMinerals foundation while performing in musical theater. A fellow dancer told me that it changed her life, and I can honestly say that it did the same for me. It literally made my skin look clearer and healthier. No one can tell that I’m wearing foundation, and it even provides protection against the sun.
2. Dermologica Antioxidant Hydramist Toner ($25) I have a huge obsession with skin-care products, and Dermalogica has some of the very best. I love their Hydramist Toner because it helps me recharge. I literally spray it on my face a few times a day, and it makes me feel more alive after a day of personal training and teaching. It has anti-aging properties, and it never irritates my skin.
3. Dry brushing. My client told me about this last year. (I had never heard anything like it!) Before I get into the shower, I use a natural bristle brush to brush my skin in circular motions toward the heart. Dry brushing is supposed to cleanse the lymphatic system, remove dead skin, and stimulate circulation, among other benefits. I find that it makes my skin feel much softer and smoother, especially after running around all day in brutal winter weather.
4. Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery Concentrate ($46) One of my clients at Tracy Anderson gave this to me, and I love it! It’s a paraben-free serum that I put on my face after I cleanse, and before I apply moisturizer. The morning after I use it, my skin always feels extra smooth. This is especially important to me after all the sweating and walking around in cold or rainy or windy weather every day.
5. MAC Black Tied Eye Shadow($19) and MAC Angled Brow Brush($18) Because I sweat a lot (!!), I have to choose makeup that doesn’t get in my way. I was introduced to MAC’s Black Tied eye shadow and Angled Brow Brush 15 years ago, and they honestly changed my professional life. I use the brush to apply the eye shadow as a liner above my eyes, and I’ve gotten so many compliments. My clients are especially amazed that it never runs or fades. —Lisa Elaine Held