Kogan’s the founder of Armour Beauty, a line of luxe natural lip glosses, and is a professional makeup artist for fashion editorial, TV, and runway.
So it’s fair to say the stunning Brooklyn native has been looking at skin in the spotlight—whether her own or a client’s—for most of her life.
The cornerstone of a great canvas “for wild makeup or none,” says Kogan, is healthy skin, so she’s a fan of natural products. But her number one rule, no matter what you use on your face is this: “Don’t pick your pimples! I used to do it, too, but I see so many women attacking their pimples that just need to be left to heal.”
1. Armour Beauty Lip Gloss in Stardust ($21)
It’s almost nourishing like a lip treatment because it has eight nut and plant oils—such as shea, avocado, mango, olive, and grapeseed—and its thick texture is protecting. This is the shade I’ve been grabbing and going with lately—a natural-but-sparkly kind of thing for every day. Not everyone wants to wear hot pink lips to yoga.
2. Josie Maran 100% Pure Argan Oil ($48) I need to oil my face! I never would have thought that I would ever say this when I was teenager, but my skin’s never been better. I put it on my face (and in my hair). It goes right into your skin. It’s not at all like you’re slicked up. I love that I just need a few drops and the bottle lasts a long time.
3. Tarte Pure Maracuja Oil ($42) This one is my night treatment because it’s loaded with all this vitamin C. It’s really great for softening the skin, for brightening it, and for evening out the skin tone. Plus the packaging is really gorgeous.
4. Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Nail Polish in Dangerous ($8) It’s a seriously dark gray. OCC is was one of the first to have a gray polish and it’s 3-free. I wear it with everything, all the time. It has such a great texture that one coat is usually enough.
5. Jurlique Moisture Replenishing Day Cream ($32.99) I got a Jurlique facial as a gift, and I loved it so much—this product especially. The smell is florally-herbally amazing. It’s a bit rich for a day cream, so I don’t really have to use much until it’s really wintery and my skin starts to dry up. I warm the cream up in my hands and press it into my skin. Love it.
Beauty Bonus! Darphin Aromatic Cleansing Balm with Rosewood ($57) I only wash my face at night, and I like this cleansing balm, which also takes off makeup. In the morning, instead of washing my face again, I’ll just use an Evian or a rose water spritz. Too much washing can really dry you out. —Melisse Gelula