Summer is when everything streamlines—as the days get longer, cooking gets quicker and outfits get simpler. Same goes for workouts: While they might not get any easier (thanks, humidity), you certainly don’t want them to be too complicated. Because every additional minute spent in the gym is one less minute you could be spending at the beach.
Luckily all you really need are seven simple moves to get a full-body burn, according to Tone it Up founders Karena Dawn and Katrina Scott.
The Los Angeles-based Insta-trainers shared exclusively with Well+Good their go-to beach workout, as part of the Tone It Up Bikini Series (an eight-week healthy eating and workout challenge). Expect to work up a sweat without having to overthink your routine. All you need? A mat, a set of weights, a kettle bell, and a quick slice of time to get this series in.
And while they’ve showcased it on the beach itself (the better to maximize ocean time), it will definitely kick your butt whether you’re in the mountains, a new city, or even your own backyard.
So throw on your favorite summer-approved activewear, tie that hair up off your neck and get ready to sweat with this easy-to-follow full-body workout from Tone It Up.
1. Dumbbell Bridge
Sculpts and tones your booty and hamstrings
1. Begin in a bridge with your butt on the ground and a dumbbell on your hips held in place by your right hand.
2. Using your butt and hamstrings, push your hips into the air. Engage your core. Slowly lower back down. Complete 20 reps.
2. Donkey Kick + Shoulder Raise
Tones and strengthens hamstrings, booty, lower and upper back, and shoulders
1. Begin in a tabletop position with one dumbbell behind your right knee and the other dumbbell in your left hand.
2. At the same time, slowly lift your knee and arm into the air. Make sure to maintain a slight bend in your elbow as you raise your arm in front of your body. Return back to starting position. Complete 15 reps, then switch sides.
3. Plank Twist + Row
Sculpts your core, shoulders, biceps, and upper back
1. Begin in a plank position with one dumbbell in your right hand. Open up to your right side and pull your elbow back until your palm is in line with your chest.
2. From here, extend your elbow and raise your arm up so that you’re in a side plank. Slowly lower back to starting position. Complete 20 reps, then switch sides.
4. Tummy Toners
Tones your waistline
1. Begin in a plank position with your hands directly below your shoulders.
2. Lift your left leg and bring your knee up to meet your left elbow. Return to plank and repeat with the opposite leg. Make sure to keep your core engaged throughout the move. Complete 15 reps on each side.
Raises your heart rate, strengthens your legs, booty, core, and shoulders
1. Begin standing with your feet together. Bend your knees and drop your hands to the ground. Kick your feet back so that you land in plank. Immediately jump back to the tucked position.
2. From here, take your hands off the ground and jump into the air. Softly land back on your feet. Complete 20 reps.
6. Kettlebell Squat + Press
Tones the booty, legs, shoulders, and upper back
1. Begin with your feet shoulder-width apart and the kettlebell held by your chest. Squat down until your legs reach 90 degrees while making sure your knees don’t pass your toes.
2. As you return to standing, raise the kettlebell directly above your head. Make sure to engage your core throughout the movement. Complete 20 reps.
7. Side Plank Inner Thigh Raises
Tones the inner thighs, obliques and lower abs
1. Begin in a side plank with your left arm on the ground. Put your left leg directly in front of you and use your right leg to support your body.
2. Engage your core and lift your left leg up into the air. Slowly lower back down. Complete 15 reps then switch sides.