Every Tuesday, we scan Food 52′s delectable menu of recipes for the healthiest picks they’ve got—bringing you seasonal, scrumptious fare that’s really good for you.
Not only do chickpeas have a low glycemic index, but they’re also super high in fiber and protein, and can help lower cholesterol levels. We love them in this South Indian-inspired salad that pairs them with your Greenmarket green beans.
Chickpea & Coconut Salad
1 cup chickpeas
1/3 cup shredded coconut
1 red bell pepper, medium chop
1/4 red onion, half circles
1/2 pound string beans
1 tablespoon oil
1 pinch hing (asafetida)
1/2 teaspoon black mustard seeds
4 curry leaves
1/2 lemon, juice of
1. Blanch the string beans in boiling water so they are still bright green and have crunch to them.
2. Pour them into a bowl of ice water so they don’t cook further.
3. Wash the chickpeas thoroughly until water is clear.
4. Place the chickpeas in a bowl with the string beans, red bell pepper, onions and coconut.
5. In a very small pan, heat oil under medium heat. Put in hing and mustard seeds and cover.
6. When the mustard seeds start to sputter, turn the heat down a little and put in chili and curry leaves and mix. Cook for about 30 seconds.
7. Turn off heat and pour over chickpeas and vegetables.
8. Add lemon juice, coconut and cilantro and mix. You can add salt to your taste.
More healthy recipes from Food52.com:
Loading More Posts...