Every Tuesday, we scan Food 52′s delectable menu of recipes for the healthiest picks they’ve got—bringing you seasonal, scrumptious fare that’s really good for you.
The arrival of warm weather also brings a hankering for light and refreshing foods. We love this simple summer salad for featuring cooling cucumbers and just the right amount of creamy, healthy-fat laden avocado.
2 large cucumbers
2 ripe avocados
1/2 cup chopped mint
Juice and zest of 1/2 lime
4 ounces feta cheese, diced
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons lime juice
Pepper to taste (or lemon pepper)
1. Peel the cucumbers, cut them in half lengthwise and scrape out the seeds with a teaspoon. Cut cucumbers into 1/2-inch pieces and put in a colander. Generously sprinkle with salt and let sit in the sink for 30 minutes to drain. This will prevent your salad from getting watery. Quickly rinse and blot dry with paper towel.
2. While cucumbers are draining, dice the avocados into 1/2-inch pieces and put into a salad bowl. Drizzle with lime juice and toss gently.
3. Wash and coarsely chop the mint. Chop the lime zest.
4. In a bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoons olive oil, 2 tablespoons lime juice and lime zest to make dressing. Add drained cucumbers, mint, feta cheese and dressing to the avocados and gently combine.
5. Add pepper (or lemon pepper) to taste. Cover and let stand in refrigerator for about 30 minutes to allow the flavors to blend.
6. If you feel like impressing your guests (or just having a fancy meal), try to make domes using a ring mold. Fill the ring mold with the salad, and then remove the mold. It’s a great way to structure your food and enhance the presentation of your plate!
More healthy recipes from Food52.com: