Every Tuesday, we scan Food 52′s delectable menu of recipes for the healthiest picks they’ve got—bringing you seasonal, scrumptious fare that’s really good for you.
There are lots of things Paleo Diet followers don’t eat, but these delicious desserts, which are dairy-free, gluten-free, and grain-free, are perfectly acceptable. Sweet and juicy coconut is full of fiber, vitamins, and minerals, and it’s also excellent for the immune system—it’s an antiviral, anti-fungal, and antibacterial fruit.
Paleo Coconut Macaroons
Makes 20 cookies
4 Egg Whites
¼ cup Honey
1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
1 teaspoon Pure Almond Extract
3 cups Unsweetened Coconut Flakes
1 tablespoon Arrowroot Powder
¼ teaspoon Coarse Sea Salt
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Whip the egg whites until they are fluffy, but not stiff. I use a hand mixer and it only takes a couple of minutes, but if you don’t have one, use a whisk and hang in there, it will take a few minutes.
3. Mix the honey, vanilla extract, almond extract, coconut flakes, arrowroot powder and sea salt in a bowl, then add the mix to the eggs. Careful! You want to fold them in and try not to overdo it. The more you mix the eggs, the less fluffy they will be when they are cooked.
4. Next, line a baking sheet with parchment paper. It will make removing the cookies simple and clean. If you don’t have parchment paper, you’ll want to lightly grease the baking sheet.
5. Once you have the baking sheet lined, drop about a tablespoon of the mixture onto the sheet. Space your macaroons 1-2 inches apart.
6. Bake on the middle rack for 12-15 minutes. You will see that the tops will brown and a toothpick will come out clean.
More healthy recipes from Food52.com:
Loading More Posts...