Whether you realize it or not, many of your fitness and nutrition ambitions are actually targeting healthy aging. And with a little intel from the folks of the Blue Zones—the earth’s most notable centenarians—seeking longevity doesn’t have to be daunting.
A new illustration shared by Blue Zones illustrates how the people in places like Sardinia, Italy; Nicoya, Costa Rica; Ikaria, Greece; and Loma Linda, California, adjust their daily, weekly, and monthly eating habits to lead lives that treat their bodies well. “These simple guidelines reflect how the world’s longest-lived people ate for most of their lives,” write the minds behind the Blue Zones.
Of course, the foremost dietary tip you’ll hear from people who are, like, really bad at dying is to make sure 95 to 100 percent of your diet comes from plants. (That rule rings true for every single day of your human life.) Here are a few more specifics on how to eat over time.
Your daily, weekly, and monthly diet plan for healthy aging, from the world’s longest-living people
View this post on Instagram
These simple guidelines reflect how the world’s longest-lived people ate for most of their lives. We make it easy to eat like the healthiest people in the world with the new #BlueZonesKitchen cookbook where you’ll find traditional recipes from the five original longevity hotspots. In addition, we have hundred of free recipes on our website. If you are interested in diving headfirst into the Blue Zones lifestyle, click the link in our profile to join our 4-week Blue Zones Life® challenge where you’ll learn to cook Blue Zones meals, make new friends, and feel less stressed. . . . . . #bluezones #bluezoneslife #mybluezoneslife #bluezoneslifestyle #bluezonesdiet #zonediet #bluezoneslifediet #bluezonesliving #livelongerbetter #longevity #centenarian #foodguidelines #plantbased #plantslant #plantbaseddiet #eatplants #eatbeans #eatyourgreens #plantfood https://www.bluezones.com/blue-zones-life/
A post shared by Blue Zones (@bluezones) on
1. Eat 95 to 100 percent plant-based
Alright so we already covered this one, but just to reiterate: plants should be your main squeeze.
2. Whole foods lead the way
Your diet should be made of “single-ingredient, raw, cooked, ground, or fermented, and not highly processed,” reads the graphic.
3. beans are good for you
The Blue Zones experts recommend enjoying 1/2 cup to 1 cup of beans per day.
4. Drink your water
I mean, if you don’t know this one by now, I’m not sure what to tell you. Enjoy coffee, tea, and alcohol (way) less often.
One to two handfuls of nuts per day is just what the longevity experts ordered.
A dietitian’s favorite nut butter:
1. Eat 3 servings of fish
2. Eat 3 eggs
Blue Zones eating encourages you to eat only about three eggs on a weekly basis.
Eggs are nature’s multivitamin:
3. Eat no more than 28 grams of added sugar each day
The new American nutrition labels include added sugar, so (in theory) it should be easier than ever to monitor how many grams make their way into your system.
Reduce dairy and meat consumption
Each month, you should think about eating a little less dairy and meat than you normally would. Remember: if you’re eating 95 percent plants every day, that really only leaves 5 percent of your daily intake to eating animals.
Loading More Posts...