Contemporary clothing and accessories site Of A Kind was born in 2010, when Erica Cerulo and Claire Mazur (who met a decade ago as undergrads at the University of Chicago) put their mutual affection for all things fashion to work in a new way in New York.
The duo’s stylish shopping site features only limited-edition pieces—hence the name, Of A Kind—and up-and-coming young designers create all of the items, so it’s less likely you’ll show up with the same hot bangles, printed tee, or sweet clutch that other on-trend women around you are wearing. (We’ve noticed a really affordable price point, too.)
Cerulo (at left) and Mazur approach their beauty buying habits with the same curatorial skills they employ at work, largely eschewing products with artificial ingredients.
“I’ve always been a real sucker for beauty products,” Cerulo says. “Nearly all of my junior high babysitting money went straight to The Body Shop. I’ve tried to pare things down in recent years to avoid the icky chemical-y stuff.”
Likewise, Mazur tries to keep it simple. “Whenever I try to do anything fancy with makeup I tend to screw it up,” she admits. “So I try to focus on making sure my skin and brows look good because those are always the things that get really distracting if they’re in bad shape.”
Here, the duo shares the products that fill their own medicine cabinets.
1. Acure Organics Lemongrass and Argan Stem Cell Shampoo ($9.99) “I wash my hair most days,” says Cerulo. “I know, I know, I probably shouldn’t but somehow dry shampoo just makes my strands feel greasier, and this stuff makes my head feel all clean and fresh without stripping all the moisture.”
2. Josie Maran Argan Oil ($48) “You probably don’t need me to tell you this, but Josie Maran’s Argan Oil is a total game-changer,” enthuses Mazur. “I didn’t even realize how much potential my skin had until I started using it. Even my boyfriend noticed.”
3. Origins GinZing Brightening Mascara ($18.50) I pre-ordered this the second after I read Jean Godfrey-June’s love letter in Lucky, Cerulo admits. “And, let me tell you, this stuff delivers. It has a big, fluffy brush, Diorshow-style, without all the parabens and nonsense. A tube also seems to last forever.”
4. RMS Living Luminizer ($38) “If I could bring only one beauty item to a desert island it would be this—and an eyebrow pencil, because come on, only one is crazy.” jokes Mazur. “I put this highlighter on my cheekbones, inner eye, and brow bone daily. It really brings out the contours of your face in a flattering way, and I’m always especially grateful for it when I’m having my picture taken.”
5. Peter Thomas Roth Instant Mineral Powder SPF 45 ($23) “We’re both mega-fans of this stuff,” say the founders. “It’s a physical sunscreen versus a chemical one, and it’s so, so easy to brush on before a run—or to stash in your purse in case you end up lucking into an outdoor lunch.” —Jamie McKillop
For more information, visit www.ofakind.com
Loading More Posts...