Bling and fitness aren’t exactly a classic combo, unless you’re Erica Sara—the jewelry designer who launched a line of classic pendant necklaces, earrings, and rings inscribed with marathon distances (13.1 and 26.2) and yoga motifs (think lotus flowers and om symbols).
For Sara—a dedicated runner—the pieces aren’t just a chic accessory, they’re a visual reminder of the inner strength it takes to truly commit to an athletic practice. “We run or work out for reasons that usually go deeper than just toned muscles and a lifted tush,” she says.
And Sara brings an equally inspired ethos to her beauty routine. “Being beautiful to me is more about how I feel about myself than how others perceive me,” Sara says.
But metalworking and generating all that pore-clogging sweat from running can wreak havoc on Sara’s hands and breakout-prone skin. Here are the beauty products she swears by…
1. Solgar Evening Primrose Oil ($14) I take two capsules of these a day, and break one open at night to use the oil as a moisturizer. Primrose oil is one of the most concentrated sources of GLA, an essential fatty acid with anti-inflammatory properties that does amazing things for my skin. The oil reduces my acne and gives me a smoother and healthier looking complexion.
2. Bliss Lemon and Sage Shampoo and Conditioner ($18 each) These are my happy products in the morning. They smell exquisite and my hair dries soft and bouncy without me having to do a thing except comb through it when it’s wet. It’s a perfect way to add a little bit of luxury to my routine when I’m rushing to get my day started.
3. Bag Balm ($12) Don’t laugh! Yes, this is what farmers have been using on their animals for years—but it works! My fiance introduced me to it a few months ago and I’m hooked. I wash my hands at least 30 times a day while I’m working, and they get horribly dry and chapped. This keeps them soft and smooth, plus it really works on chapped lips. I’ve also begun to use it instead of body glide to prevent chafing on long runs.
4. Sabon Patchouli Lavender Vanilla Mineral Powder ($24) It smells amazing, it feels amazing…I love this powder from Sabon, which has cute stores around Manhattan. I use it in just about every bath to relax and de-stress. It’s also perfect after a long run to soothe tired muscles. It leaves me feeling calm and sexy.
5. The Farmer’s Market. A few years ago, I ate raw and vegan for several months and had more energy, better skin, better muscle tone, and less cellulite than ever before. I’ve added meat and dairy back to my diet, but those months showed me that our meals are a crucial part of our beauty routines. The more fruits and veggies I eat, the better I look and feel. —Jamie McKillop
For more information, visit www.ericasaradesigns.com