Running Sensible Organics includes heading up Nourish Organic—the skin-care darling at Whole Foods, which was among the first to be USDA-certified (and will soon be available at Target). It also means creating lots of private label natural beauty products (some of your favorites were probably actually made by his company). Before going green, Robillard honed his beauty credentials at companies like Kiehl’s and L’Oreal Paris.
So what does a dude who knows a thing or two about moisturizing use at home? We ask Robillard to dish, so you can stock the shower for your bf or hubby.
1. Nourish Organic Deeply Nourishing Coconut & Argan Body Lotion ($10.50) My skin gets tight and dry during winter, so I’ve found it makes a major difference if you add in the right kind of moisturizer or swap out your lighter moisturizer with a more nutrient-rich option. The first ingredient in this lotion is aloe vera, so it’s incredibly hydrating. (When the first ingredient is water, it’s much less so!) I’ve also being reading more about the healing and curative benefits of Moroccan argan oil. The stuff is no joke. In its organic form (without any fillers or chemicals), it’s nutrient-packed and helps to keep your skin healthy and soft. Also, the scent with the coconut personally reminds me of my honeymoon in Bora Bora—it’s USDA-certified organic heaven in my opinion.
2. Dr. Mercola Sea Buckthorn Serum ($40) I’ll admit it, I’ve jumped on the facial oil bandwagon. It’s funny, at one point in time, people were horrified at the thought of putting oil on your face, but now it’s become one of the best ways to take care of your skin. Since living in San Francisco and changing up my diet, and incorporating more USDA-certified organic food products, I’ve started doing the same with my personal care and grooming products. I like this particular serum because it’s organic, lightweight, and absorbs quickly into my skin. There’s no residual greasiness or shine. My tip: try it as a nighttime treatment after you cleanse your skin, and you’ll wake up with skin that feels incredibly smooth.
3. Desert Essence Lemon Tea Tree Shampoo & Conditioner ($9) It’s nearly impossible to make a “green” shampoo and conditioner, but Desert Essence has figured it out. This thoroughly cleans my hair but doesn’t leave my scalp feeling dry. It has a refreshing citrus scent that helps wake me up in the morning and get started on the right foot.
4. Eminence Tea Tree & Mint Hand Cleanser ($9) I travel nearly every day and am in an airport weekly, so I don’t go anywhere without Eminence’s organic waterless hand cleanser. It takes care of dirt and grime and has a nice refreshing, minty scent that’s not overpowering. It’s antibacterial and antiseptic.
5. Dead Sea Essentials by AHAVA Almond Exfoliating Cleanser ($13) There’s nothing better you can do to take care of your skin than exfoliate. Most men don’t exfoliate, but it’s such a simple step to add to your routine and makes a major difference in maintaining healthy-looking skin. I try to find a few extra minutes every couple of days as it really makes a difference. In addition to its exfoliating power, I also love its great earthy almond scent. —Lisa Elaine Held