Susi Wunsch, a former marketing consultant and freelance writer, fell in love with pedaling while on a spin bike and was soon head-over-heels for all things cycling.
She founded Velojoy.com to encourage New Yorkers to cycle in the city, and to address safety worries many women have (cabs! pedestrians! heel caught in pedal!).
Since Wunsch spends a lot of time with the wind in her hair (and blasting her fair skin), she tends to reach for beauty products that will protect her visage from the city streets.
“Because I’m outdoors so much, both my daily moisturizer and foundation contain SPF protection,” says Wunsch. It’s working—she’s 54.
Here are five products Wunsch tosses in her bike basket:
1. Make Up Forever Professional Aqua Liner ($23) in Matte Dark Brown. I’ve tried a lot of eyeliners, but this water-proof formula is the one that never lets me down. The foam tip applicator makes it easy to apply and provides a precise line that stays put, no matter what.
2. Ottilie and Lulu Clean Skin Face Wipes ($10 for 30) I use these 100-percent-cotton towelettes for all-around freshening up once I’ve reached my destination. They’re specially formulated for tween skin, but their gentleness—no salicylic acid or alcohol, and no lingering fragrance—is something that women of all ages can appreciate. Plus, I love that, for every product you buy, they donate one to the Pediatric Unit at NYU Langone Medical Center here in New York City.
3. Kiehl’s Lip Balm SPF 15 ($7) Protecting my lips from the drying effects of sun and wind is essential. This product goes everywhere with me, whether I’m commuting to a meeting in Brooklyn or riding in a pace line on weekends. It’s got a velvety texture without feeling greasy.
4. Jo Malone Grapefruit Cologne ($111 for 100ml) I’m a huge fan of this citrusy, sporty blend of grapefruit and tangerine plus vetiver and rosemary. My local Jo Malone shop on Bleecker Street is generous with samples, so I leave my big bottle at home, and toss little vials in my bag for a post-ride spritz.
5. John Frieda Frizz-Ease Serum ($6) I’ve got really thick hair and I wear a helmet, so among the products that I rely on for styling touch-ups, this is my favorite. It tames both humidity-induced frizz and dry static, for a smooth finish with a touch of gloss. It contains UV protection, too. —Breanne McCarthy
Loading More Posts...