Hollywood producer turned organic skin-care guru, Valerié Grandury, has always been super savvy about beauty products. “We French are very serious about skin-care,” says the Parisian expat, who now calls California home.
But when Grandury was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2004, she started taking a closer look at what, exactly, she was putting on her skin—and what she found was pas bon.
“Having cancer made me absolutely passionate (and sometimes a bit rigid) about non-toxic living,” she admits. “It led me to look into everything that came in contact with my body and I was horrified when I found out about the toxicity of skin-care products.”
Unable to find a line that had both the purity and efficacy she was looking for, Grandury began blending her own products, and in 2009 launched Odacité—the organic, preservative-free line.
The following year, she opened Los Angeles’ cult green beauty boutique, The Detox Market, in West Hollywood and stocked it with her favorite non-toxic, eco-conscious finds.
Now, she’s sharing five faves that have passed her rigorous approval process—including the crème de la crème from her own line. —Rachel Marlowe
1. Odacite An Autumn on the World 15% Vitamin C Serum ($149) This anti-aging serum is formulated with an advanced, lipid-soluble form of vitamin C that has shown to be five times more potent that other vitamin C compounds. It’s amazing how it transforms the skin—lines are smoothed instantly and after a month’s use, the skin’s plumpness is really improved. I can’t live without it!
2. Kjaer Weis Highlighter ($56) I absolutely love this multitasking highlighter. It gives that “just-kissed-by-the-sun” finish to all skin tones. I use it as eyeshadow and to accentuate my cheekbones—and I give it as a gift to all my friends.
3. Bootea Daytime Detox Tea ($65) This tea tastes so good and helps flush toxins out of your system for a super healthy glow. The blend of organic yerba mate, milk thistle seed, green rooibos, schisandra berry, and holy basil also gives an energy boost without that jittery feeling.
4. Odacite Gentle Rejuvenating Cleanser ($40) Cleansing your face twice daily is one of the most important steps of a good skin-care regimen. This organic creme cleanser removes all surface impurities without disturbing your skin’s delicate moisture and oil balance. It leaves it feeling super fresh.
5. Josh Rosebrook Deep Nourishing Shampoo ($30) This shampoo is a lifesaver for weakened hair that needs special care and nourishment. It uses raw, foaming African black soap and saponified coconut oil to gently cleanse, all while preserving your hair’s natural protective oils. It also restores moisture and shine like no other shampoo I’ve used.