Brooklyn-based farm-to-table food delivery company Sweet Roots really knows how to cook up a healthy, mouth-watering Thanksgiving feast.
Chesnut and Rainbow Quinoa Stuffed Squash, Maple Mashed Sweet Potatoes, and Vegan Pumpernickel and Rye Stuffing (cue hunger pangs) are just a few examples of the dishes they’re offering this year, in case your own Brooklyn kitchen barely has space for a cutting board, let alone 10 different roasting pans.
And the perfect endnote to a delicious, good-for-you meal (whether you cook it yourself or order in)? This Paleo Pumpkin Pie, created by Sweet Roots recipe developer (and former pastry chef) Chloe Lasseron.
The pie is free of gluten, dairy, and refined sugars, but the filling tastes strikingly similar to its traditional counterpart. “The crust on this pumpkin pie is definitely the biggest difference,” Lasseron says. “It’s comparable to a crust you’d find on a traditional cheesecake.” Which is excellent news, since this method is 100 times faster than rolling out and pinching pie crusts into perfection.
“It’s super easy, and you don’t need anything special other than the cashew flour, which I found at Trader Joe’s,” she says. Do we sense a trip there in your near future? —Lisa Elaine Held
Sweet Roots Paleo Pumpkin Pie
Yield: One 8” pie
2 cups cashew flour
1 large egg
2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
pinch of sea salt
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine cashew flour and salt together.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg and coconut oil.
3. Knead all of the ingredients together until well combined.
4. Spray an 8” pie pan with coconut oil spray and push the dough evenly into the bottom and up the sides of the pan.
5. Chill while preparing the filling.
1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin puree
½ cup coconut milk
½ cup agave nectar
3 large eggs
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/8 tsp sea salt
1. Preheat the oven to 350.
2. Whisk all of the ingredients together in a small bowl until smooth.
3. Pour the filling into the unbaked pie shell.
4. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 50 minutes, or until the filling is set.
5. Chill for 1.5 to 2 hours before enjoying.
For more information, visit www.sweetrootsnyc.com