The Yoga Journal Conference: New York, held April 12–16, is that rare gathering when teachers, serious yogis, dabblers, and newbies alike come together to practice, get inspired, and share thoughts on yoga culture. Think TED or SXSW for yogis.
The roster of classes, day-long intensives, and panel discussions looks like a course catalog for the Yoga University of our dreams.
Since there’s so much to choose from, and it’s all packed into just four days, we developed this list of five things you absolutely cannot miss!
Sign up now using code AD14 for $50 off an All-Day Intensive or receive $50 off the Main Conference pass using code NY25.
1. Get Your Dance On. Kick off the conference with this Friday night shindig that’s part yoga class, part dance party—and it’s star-studded! Elena Brower and Dana Flynn are teaching the yoga portion and Shiva Rea will be leading a trance dance. Tickets are sold at all NYC YogaWorks locations and online for $35; $45 at the door.
2. Shop the Marketplace. Shop the latest fitness fashion trends, visit the Vitamix and Vita Coco booths for delish smoothie samples and coconut water, and get henna or acupuncture treatments. (Sign up in advance here.)
3. Strike a pose. Let lululemon’s photograper snap your half moon pose. You’ll walk away with Jpegs that you can use for Facebook so all your high schools friends can see your full wheel.
4. Attend “Yoga Shouldn’t Hurt.” It’s been a controversial year in yoga. Join king instigator William Broad (of “How Yoga Can Wreck Your Body” fame) and others for a panel discussion.
5. Take a community class. Free classes will be offered throughout the conference including session with Pure Yoga’s Kay Kay Clivio and Jivamukti’s Narayani.
Yoga Journal Conference: New York, Hilton New York. www.yjevents.com/ny