Welcome to Well+Good’s (Re)New Year—a five week expert-led program that’s all about helping you have your best year yet. For Week Two we’ve brought on professionally trained chef and best-selling author Candice Kumai to help you reset your clean eating habits with meal plans that actually work. She’ll be sharing three recipes a day to guide you through a no-restrictions, detoxifying cleanse that makes eating so.much.fun. (Yes!)
Ready for your (Re)New Year Week Two mantra? Here it is: Whole foods are always best. (Yep, it’s that simple.)
I’ve been studying their natural nutritional benefits—as well as playing with their natural flavors for over a decade—and have found that nothing out there is going to do you better. Not only are they packed with superfood nutrition, vitamins, minerals, and amino acids, but these whole ingredients will do wonders for your entire body. (Cue sparkling eyes, glowing complexion, and an uber-healthy gut.)
Especially during the winter, these ingredients will nourish your soul and skin. Smile gorgeous, because you’re about to get a superload of vitamins A, C, and K, along with fiber, potassium, and beta-carotene from today’s superfood-filled meal plan.
Ready to go? Scroll down to see Day 1’s hearty and delicious lineup of superfoods—and show us how you’re celebrating the (Re)New Year using #iamwellandgood!
Day 1 Breakfast: Detoxing Green Smoothie
1 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
1/2 frozen banana
1 cup baby spinach
1 Tbsp natural almond butter
1 tsp virgin, unrefined coconut oil (optional)
3 ice cubes
1 scoop of your fave protein powder
1. Place all ingredients into your blender and blend until smooth.
Day 1 Lunch: Avocado Kale Caesar Salad
For the salad
1 bunch of lacinato kale, whole leaves torn, stems removed
1/2 Fuji apple, halved and thinly sliced into half-moons
1 avocado, cut into 1-inch cubes
2 Tbsp hulled hemp seeds
1. In a large mixing bowl add all of the Caesar dressing ingredients. Whisk well to combine.
2. Add the chopped kale and Fuji apple slices to the bowl. Toss well to coat.
3. Plate up the dressed salad and top with the avocado cubes and hulled hemp seeds.
Day 1 Dinner: Sweet Potato Avocado Bowl
For the bowl
6 cups cooked brown rice (about 3 cups uncooked)
1 cup shredded kale
1 cup roasted sweet potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 ripe avocado, pitted, peeled, and cubed
1 cup roasted vegetables of your choice (optional)
For the carrot-ginger vinaigrette
3 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
2 Tbsp yellow onion, roughly chopped
1/2 cup rice vinegar
2 Tbsp reduced-sodium tamari soy sauce
2 Tbsp water
2 Tbsp peeled and roughly chopped fresh ginger
1. In each of four individual serving bowls, add one-and-a-half cups brown rice. Top each with an equal amount of avocado cubes, sweet potato, shredded kale, and leftover roasted veggies, if available.
2. For the vinaigrette, combine all of the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
3. Top each serving bowl with two tablespoons of the carrot-ginger vinaigrette and mix with a fork, serve at room temperature, or heat as desired.
The (Re)New Year series is not a “New Year, New You” program. (We think you’re pretty great as is!) Instead, we tapped the biggest and best influencers across the wellness space to help kick off the New Year in the best possible way. Between heart-racing workouts, DIY beauty recipes, and killer confidence advice, get ready to have your happiest and healthiest year yet.