Chloe Coscarelli may have built her reputation on cupcakes, tempeh burgers, and sweet potato fries (there’s not a line out the door of By Chloe—the vegan chain she founded, before recently exiting—for nothing), but there’s another food staple she’s just as obsessed with: tacos. “They’re definitely one of my go-to lunches,” admits the plant-based chef.
As a vegan, Coscarelli isn’t about to fill her taco with chicken or steak—she has another go-to on hand for protein: One of her favorite ingredients is tofu, the OG vegan staple. Not only is it often her tortilla filling of choice, but she also turns to it when she’s looking to punch up her dishes with something other than guac. (Because not everyone can stomach avocados all the time.)
“I use it to make creamy sauces by throwing it in the blender. Some people get intimidated by making cream sauces with nuts, but tofu is really easy to work with,” she says.
Here, Coscarelli puts the soy-based specialty to work as a spicy crema. Paired with mango salsa, it all adds up to a summer meal that’s sweet with a kick. Chipotle, are you taking notes?
Scroll down for Chloe Coscarelli’s favorite tofu taco recipe—that only takes 10 minutes to make.
Chloe Coscarelli’s Spicy Chipotle Mango Tacos
Yields 4 servings
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 package Nasoya extra-firm tofu, drained and crumbled
1 1/2 Tbsp pure maple syrup
1 1/2 Tbsp Sriracha
1 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 tsp chipotle powder
3/4 tsp sea salt
1 mango, finely diced
2 Tbsp finely diced red onion
1 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
2 tsp fresh lime juice
Sliced avocado or guacamole, fresh cilantro, lime wedges
1. Heat a large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and add oil. Add crumbled tofu and cook until lightly browned.
2. Add maple syrup, Sriracha, smoked paprika, chipotle, and salt, and stir until tofu is coated. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. To assemble the tacos, heat a tortilla in a pan over medium-high heat or by placing it directly on the burner for about a minute, using tongs to flip. Plate. Layer on the tofu, mango salsa, and a drizzle of chipotle crema. Garnish with guacamole, cilantro, and a lime wedge.
For the mango salsa
1. Stir all the ingredients together in a small bowl.
For the chipotle crema
1. Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
Each week we spotlight a healthy-delish recipe that’s truly genius (and easy to make) from someone who’s wowed us in the food world. We’re talking buzzy cookbook authors and Instagram foodies to brilliant chefs. You can find more mouthwatering must-try ideas from the Recipe of the Week archive.