One of my absolute favorite things to order for takeout is a steamy plate of dumplings. I can’t even tell you how many times I’ve paid a pricey delivery fee just to get Peacefood Cafe‘s mouth-watering shanghai-style dish sent to my door. (A lot, okay? And worth every bite.) To cut down on takeout costs, I’ve been trying to learn how to make dumplings at home, and I think I finally found the perfect recipe.
Francesca Bonadonna, the blogger behind Plantifully Based, recently shared her vegan chick’n and broccoli dumplings recipe. They’re as easy to make as they are delicious. The trick to their simplicity is store-bought dumpling wrappers since the homemade version can be really tough for beginners to get right.
After wetting the edges of the wrappers and filling them with a savory mix of plant protein and veggies, just pinch the dumpling together. Yep, that’s it. (If you want to get real fancy, you can watch this YouTube video explaining 10 folding techniques.)
While the dumplings steam, mix up a simple sauce to dip them in. It’s better than takeout any day.
How to make dumplings at home
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by Francesca | Plantifully Based (@plantifullybased) on Jun 5, 2019 at 2:37pm PDT
Vegan chick’n and broccoli dumplings
20 store-bought dumpling wrappers
1/2 cup vegan chicken
1/2 cup chopped broccoli
2 to 3 stalks chopped green onions
1 tsp sesame oil
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp maple syrup
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 Tbsp sesame oil for cooking
1/2 cup water for steaming
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp soy sauce
2 Tbsp maple syrup
1 Tbsp water
1/4 tsp sesame oil
1. Chop the broccoli, vegan chicken, and green onions very small. The smaller the better. Add 1 tsp of sesame oil to a pan and heat up for 1 to 2 minutes.
2. Add the broccoli, vegan chicken, green onion, soy sauce, ground ginger, and maple syrup. Cook for 5 minutes until broccoli is softened and chicken is crispy.
3. Wet the edges of a dumpling wrapper with water. Add 1 Tbsp of filling into a dumpling wrapper. Fold it and repeat with all dumpling wrappers.
4. In a pan, add 1 Tbsp of sesame oil and the dumplings with their flat bottoms down so they can get crispy. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes on a medium heat. Then add 1/2 cup of water, cover, and steam until all the water is gone.
5. Prepare the sauce by adding all ingredients to a bowl and mixing together. Garnish with sesame seeds and green onion.
Loading More Posts...