Navigating a cocktail menu can be tricky, and most of the time it’s hard to decipher exactly what’s in your drink and whether or not it’s actually good for you.
But this cocktail recipe—which you can most definitely DIY—is packed with good-for-you ingredients.
The Cumbia Mule comes from NYC’s über-healthy Latin Beet Kitchen, the restaurant behind those ever-Instagrammable bright bowls of ceviche, and it’s one of a handful of no-sugar-added cocktails on the downtown hot spot’s menu. Not only is it super tasty and refreshing (consider this cocktail the equivalent of jumping in the pool and then eating fruit salad in front of an air conditioner), it also includes chia seeds and watermelon as its core ingredients. (And since chia seeds are full of gel water, you might be avoiding that pesky dehydration side effect to summer happy hour.)
Scroll down for Latin Beet Kitchen’s watermelon and chia cocktail recipe.
Cumbia Mule Recipe
3.5 oz. vodka
1/2 oz. lime juice
4 oz. watermelon juice (or 1 cup of watermelon)
1 oz. ginger beer
2 oz. chia seeds
3 oz. water
For the glass rim
Mix two parts kosher salt and one part chia seeds in a small bowl. Take your cocktail glass and wet the rim with a lime wedge before dipping into the salt and chia seed mixture.
For the cocktail
1. Start by making your drunken chia seeds. Mix 1/2 oz. of chia seeds with 3 oz. of water and 1.5 oz. of vodka, then set aside.
2. Use a blender to smooth and liquify a cup of watermelon.
3. In a shaker glass combine ice, 2 oz. of vodka, lime juice, and the watermelon puree. Then shake vigorously.
4. Fill a glass with ice and strain the mixture into the glass.
5. Add and stir drunken chia seeds into the cocktail and top with ginger beer.
Loading More Posts...