When a bowl of cold greens just isn’t enough, you’ll want to know how to build a nourish bowl. Not to hate on salads, but sometimes you just need something a little heartier. The concept behind nourish bowls is simple. And by following a nutritionist’s go-to formula, you can make a nutritious meal in five minutes flat.
Essentially, a nourish bowls is a next-level salad that’s loaded with everything you need for a well-rounded meal. “The root of the nourish bowl is choosing nutrient-dense veggies, fruits/carbohydrates, healthy fats, and quality proteins to make a filling meal in a bowl,” writes McKel Kooienga, MS, RDN, LDN, founder of Nutrition Stripped. The key is preparing everything in advance so that all you need to do is combine a handful of different foods to create exciting new combinations throughout the week.
“Making a healthy lunch or dinner can be as simple as throwing these ingredients into one bowl and calling it a meal,” Kooienga says. “Typically, I suggest making nourish bowls utilizing meal-prepped meal components from the weekend, such as roasted veggies, prepared proteins of your choice, homemade salad dressings, and baked/cooked carbohydrates, but you can use whatever you have on hand.”
How to make a nourish bowl
View this post on Instagram
To show how easy it is to build a nourish bowl, Kooienga shares six components you’ll need as well as her top picks for each category.
- A few handfuls of greens. Spinach, romaine, arugula, kale, micro greens, sprouts, etc.
- Healthy fats. Avocado, olive oil, olives, nuts, seeds, etc.
- A serving of protein. Tempeh, beans, quinoa, lentils, hemp seeds, nuts/seeds, etc.
- Whole-food carbohydrates. Sweet potatoes, quinoa, millet, brown rice, wild rice, beans, corn, peas, etc.
- Dressing of your choice. Try a creamy mix of hummus, apple cider vinegar, and nutritional yeast.
- Fresh herbs and spices. Choose whichever herbs and spices you think complement the dish.
Tasty nourish bowl combinations to get you started
You now know how simple it is to create your own nourish bowl, but where to begin? These combinations are sure to satisfy.
- Lean, mean, and green: Spinach and kale, walnuts, lentils, tempeh, peas, fresh basil, and a creamy dressing.
- Taco bowl: Romaine and micro greens, tofu sofritas, avocado, black beans, corn, brown rice, fresh cilantro, and salsa.
- Protein-packed: Spinach and sprouts, almonds, tofu and lentils, quinoa, fresh parsley, and hummus.
Loading More Posts...