Alexandra Hedin knows how easy it is to cave into ordering takeout (again)—especially during the week, when late nights at the office or evening workouts cut into your cooking time. It’s why she started Weeknight Society, an app that gives users a weekly menu and grocery list with seasonal ingredients. (Real talk: Knowing what to buy is half the battle.)
Even better: Every recipe takes less than 35 minutes to make—way less time than figuring out what to order in with your S.O. (You know it’s true….)
Out of the seemingly endless recipe options on the app, Hedin has a sure summertime favorite: curried zucchini meatballs. “I love a good chicken curry and I wanted to create something that felt like an old favorite, but with a healthier twist for summer,” she says. Her recipe for the chicken meatball dish is on the lighter side (as opposed to the traditional beef and red sauce variation) with the pleasantly surprising addition of curry.
Another bonus? The recipe is both Paleo friendly and gluten free. Oh, and it’s crafted to actually help the gut: “Instead of using heavy ingredients found in a traditional meatball, like breadcrumbs, I filled this recipe with fresh ingredients like zucchini, onions, and peppers,” says Hedin. “[I also] included ginger, which is wonderful in aiding the digestive system and reducing bloat.”
Good luck finding a Yelp review of a nearby takeout joint that can compete with that.
Ready to place your order? Here’s how to make Hedin’s curried zucchini meatballs.
Curried Zucchini Meatballs
2 lbs ground chicken
2 medium zucchini, 1 grated
1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1 onion, chopped
2 Tbsp curry paste
1 can coconut milk
1 can bamboo shoots
Salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Combine ground chicken, grated zucchini (about 1 cup), grated ginger, and chopped cilantro. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Form chicken mixture into balls and pop on a cookie sheet. Bake 10 to 15 minutes until done all the way through.
4. While meatballs cook, sauté bell pepper and onion to soft. Add coconut milk, curry paste, bamboo shoots, and zucchini. Cover and simmer 5 minutes until bubbling.
5. Add meatballs to the pan and coat with sauce. Serve over rice or rice noodles.
Each week we spotlight a healthy-delish recipe that’s truly genius (and easy to make) from someone who’s wowed us in the food world. We’re talking buzzy cookbook authors and Instagram foodies to brilliant chefs. You can find more mouthwatering must-try ideas from the Recipe of the Week archive.