Welcome back to Well Done, Well+Good’s seriously tasty food (and drink!) video series, featuring easy-healthy-gorgeous recipes from the wellness scene’s buzziest chefs, nutritionists, and Instagram foodies.
Now that you’re a couple of weeks into 2018, it’s safe to say the end-of-year hustle has officially died down. You’re back to your regular routine, which may or may not include letting your weekly healthy meal-prep slide off the radar the moment it hits Friday at 6 p.m.
But Ashley Marti is here to spice up your weekend cooking game—literally. The brains behind the gorgeous, whole-foods blog and Instagram account Local Haven swears by this spiced veggie dish, loaded with texture and flavor with sweet roasted carrots, crunchy seeds, and a creamy yogurt sauce.
The sauce is especially crowd-pleasing because it’s made with siggi’s coconut yogurt, which means you’re getting a lot of wholesome extras thanks to siggi’s emphasis on simple ingredients and not much sugar. Plus, the Icelandic-style yogurt also contains protein and live active cultures.
“I love this recipe because it’s just so good and simple to make,” Marti says, noting the bright flavors are a total winter energy kick. Plus, if you’re out of carrots, Marti recommends many other seasonal veggies to sub in: “Cauliflower, parsnips, beets, and Brussels sprouts work, too!”
While great as a side dish, it can easily be turned into a filling dinner. “Just cook up some grains, like brown rice or farro, and serve the spiced carrots with lemony yogurt sauce over top,” she says. “And you’ll have a complete meal!”
Scroll down to get the full (super easy) recipe.
Spiced Carrots with Lemony Yogurt Sauce
Yields 4 servings
1 lb. small carrots with tops trimmed to 1-inch (smaller the carrots the better)
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 tsp fennel seeds
2 tsp cumin seed
1 Tbsp fresh turmeric, finely grated
1 cup siggi’s coconut yogurt
1 garlic clove, finely grated
1/2 lemon, tested and juiced
1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. If your carrots are small, they can be left whole. If they are slightly bigger, slice in half lengthwise. Place carrots onto a large baking sheet and drizzle with oil, fennel seeds, cumin seeds, freshly grated turmeric, and a dash of salt and pepper. Toss together to evenly coat. (Then wash your hands, before they get stained orange from the turmeric!)
3. Roast the carrots for about 12 minutes. Flip the carrots over and roast for another 12 minutes until browned in spots and tender. Remove from the oven.
4. In a small bowl, mix together the coconut yogurt, grated garlic, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper.
5. On a platter, spoon some of the lemony yogurt sauce as a base. Place the spiced carrots over the yogurt, and scatter chopped mint on top. Serve with the rest of the yogurt sauce on the side (or over a bed of grains if you prefer). Enjoy!