In addition to her killer yoga poses and face mask selfies, Jules Hunt’s Instagram (and blog Om & The City) is decorated with images of gorgeous veggie bowls and restaurant-worthy salads. But IRL, she’d way rather experience her food than do it for the ‘gram.
“Once at a breakfast with a group of foodies, they kidnapped my pancakes for a flatlay and I didn’t get them back until they were cold. Cold pancakes are the worst!” Hunt says. “I’d be the worst food blogger, because I’m way too impatient for it. If we’re shooting something food-related, I work lightening fast.”
So what’s her secret to making her meals look so deliciously photogenic, without spending hours styling them? Keeping wholesome staples on hand—because real-food ingredients make for better tasting (and looking) dinners.
“I’m never without organic wild-caught salmon, avocados, organic spring mix, green veggies (broccoli, bok choy, Brussels sprouts), and sweet potatoes. These are my easy staples for delicious bowls,” she says. “And I always have copious amounts of organic raw cashews for cashew mylk, dressings, and sauces.”
Because she’s all about keeping it simple when it comes to meal-time, she has a few easy tricks for elevating her dining experience, like adding fresh avocado to a meal-prepped salad, using her cast iron skillet to give veggies the perfect crispy edges, or pairing her dinners with a refreshingly natural beverage.
“I have high standards when it comes to food and drinks, and Spindrift®️ is as clean as it gets with just two ingredients—sparkling water and real squeezed lemons,” she says. “In this 100 degree Texas heat, I crave it more than ever. It’s so refreshing, it feels like I’m on vacation.”
Scroll down to snag the recipe for her favorite poolside salad—plus the refreshing sip to complement the tangy flavors.
Om & The City’s Summer Shrimp Salad
In the summertime, lemon is one of Hunt’s go-to ingredients for making any meal more refreshing (she constantly keeps an entire drawer stocked with fresh lemons), which is why she’s obsessed with serving Spindrift®️ Lemon with her lemon-cashew salad dressing.
“Spindrift®️ really brings home the lemon flavors in my Summer Shrimp Salad and it keeps it feeling light, refreshing, and more exciting than pairing with regular water,” she says.
And because she typically uses chicken or plant-based protein in her salads and bowls throughout the week, she likes to keep the exciting vibes flowing by switching things up with shrimp. “It’s a special treat when I decide to buy shrimp,” Hunt says. “This is one of my favorite salads to treat myself to with a Spindrift®️, and even better when I’m enjoying it by our pool!”
Yields 2 servings
1 cup organic white quinoa
1 1/2 cups water
1 Tbsp avocado oil
2 servings frozen wild caught, MSC-certified shrimp
Organic spring mix
Creamy Lemon-Cashew Dressing
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup raw unsalted cashews,
2 small lemons or 1 large lemon
2 tsp minced garlic (2 cloves)
1/2 tsp sea salt
1. Place frozen shrimp in cold water to thaw.
2. Rinse quinoa under cold water until the water is clear.
3. Coat the Instant Pot liner with avocado oil and add in rinsed quinoa, water, and salt. Lock the lid and set the steam valve the “sealing” position. Select the “Rice” setting and press start.
4. Once the quinoa is done, allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes. The lid won’t let you open it until the pressure is fully released.
5. While the quinoa is cooking, preheat a pan on stove with avocado oil or grass-fed ghee.
6. While the pan heats up, pat shrimp dry, and marinate in fresh garlic, chili powder, avocado oil or ghee, salt, and pepper.
7. Add the shrimp to the pan and crisp on each side.
8. Grab a heaping handful of organic spring mix and top it with quinoa, shrimp, cherry tomatoes, and sliced avocado. Drizzle the creamy lemon-cashew dressing on top, and enjoy!
For the dressing
1. Put everything in a blender, and blend on high until smooth (approx. 45-60 seconds).
2. Store in a sealed mason jar to enjoy on salads throughout the week!
In partnership with Spindrift®️
Photos: Jules Hunt
Loading More Posts...