When you think of the most Googled recipe of 2019, what comes to mind? Well, if a perfectly crisp cauliflower crust, creamy pasta dish, or mouth-watering dessert came to mind, you’re wrong. It was actually shepherd’s pie. Yep, the bland-looking dish packed with minced meat, gravy, and mashed potatoes.
If you’re a bit surprised… me too. But clearly people are really into their shepherd’s pie! I’d really like to one-up those many searches with a healthier, prettier, and completely vegan vegan shepherd’s pie that’s loaded with plant-based protein. And leave it to Ella Mills, the plant-based cookbook author behind Deliciously Ella, to do just that with her take on the traditional recipe that uses sweet potatoes and black beans, leaving you energized after devouring the dish rather than weighed down.
“This is my favorite Shepherd’s pie recipe, and it’s such a crowd-pleaser.” —Ella Mills of Deliciously Ella
“This is my favorite Shepherd’s pie recipe, and it’s such a crowd-pleaser,” she wrote on her website. “The beans are sautéed with red onion, garlic, maple, coriander, lime juice, spring onions, mushrooms, and tomatoes until they’re soft and full of flavor. Then they’re baked under a layer of sweet potato mash.”
Vegan shepherd’s pie takes more of a time commitment than something like pasta, but the finished product is impressive. Between the wholesome ingredients, herbs and spices, and many protein- and fiber-filled plants, this recipe is 100 percent worth the hype.
Sweet potato and black bean shepherd’s pie
4 cups sweet potato, peeled and cut into small cubes
small splash of almond milk
1 cup black beans, drained and washed
1 cup red kidney beans, drained and washed
2 cups canned tomatoes
2 cups button mushrooms
4 spring onions, sliced
1 large red onion, peeled and finely diced
2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely diced
1 tsp maple syrup
handful fresh coriander, roughly chopped
1 tsp smoked sweet paprika
juice of 1 lime
salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
2. Boil the peeled sweet potatoes until tender, about 30 minutes. Drain and leave to one side.
3. Fry the onions, garlic, and a pinch of salt in a drizzle of olive oil over a medium heat for 5 minutes, until the onion softens. Add the paprika and slices of spring onion, sauté for 2 to 3 minutes, ensuring they are coated in the paprika before adding the mushrooms and mixing again.
4. Add both of the beans, coating them in the paprika, and sauté for another 5 minutes. Then add the canned tomatoes, maple syrup, lime juice, pepper, and coriander, mixing everything through.
5. Once the sweet potatoes are soft, mash them with the almond milk and a pinch of salt.
6. Spoon the bean mix at the bottom of a baking tray and top with the sweet potato mash. Place in the oven to grill until it starts to crisp on the top, about 20 to 25 minutes.
For another healthy vegan recipe, try this Mexican corn salad:
These super easy vegan recipes can be made using nothing but your air fryer. Then go for the paleo-vegan recipes that can be made under 10 minutes.
Loading More Posts...