Even if cooking is your go-to stress reliever, there are some days (read: after 6 a.m. yoga and back-to-back meetings) when melting into the sofa and becoming BFFs with the delivery guy sounds like a better idea.
But this chicken stir-fry recipe beats it. “It’s such a quick and easy weeknight dinner recipe,” says Regan Jones, RD, the founding editor at HealthyAperture.com and the brains behind this creation. “Stock your fridge with these quick-prep items, and you can have a Points-friendly dinner option on the table faster than you could order takeout.”
Jones is actually name-dropping Weight Watchers SmartPoints®—the system that distills nutritional info down to one number, so you can easily steer toward healthier ingredients. But here’s the game-changer: With the new Weight Watchers Freestyle program, there’s more than 200 zero Points® foods (think eggs, chicken, fish, and pretty much every fruit and veggie), which means it’s super easy to stay within your Points® target (and you won’t have to retire your spicy faves).
“By leaning heavily on veggies in your stir-fry and using lean chicken breast, you’re getting fiber and protein to keep you feeling fuller longer.”
And this chicken stir fry delivers. “Veggies and protein are the perfect way to fill you up, not out,” Jones says. “By leaning heavily on veggies in your stir-fry and using lean chicken breast, you’re getting fiber and protein to keep you feeling fuller longer.”
Another perk? No sodium-loaded soy sauce is needed. “If you don’t have soy sauce on hand, stir-fry can seem like it’s off-the-menu,” Jones says. “But this version is actually made without it. No trip to the store required.”
Keep reading for the easy-to-follow recipe, complete with a soy-sauce alternative that will become your new go-to.
Chicken stir-fry with cauliflower rice
Yields 4 servings; 2 SmartPoints® per serving
2 Tbsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp lime juice
2 Tbsp orange juice
1 tsp freshly grated ginger
1 Tbsp Sriracha
2 Tbsp peanut butter
Salt (to taste)
1lb. chicken breast, cut into pieces
½ lb. coleslaw mix or shredded cabbage
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 large egg, whisked
3 cups cooked pre-packaged cauliflower rice
Chopped cilantro, sliced jalapeno, and lime wedges to garnish
1. Make stir-fry sauce by combining juices, ginger, Sriracha, peanut butter, and salt. Set aside.
2. Apply cooking spray to large non-stick skillet and place over heat; add chicken and cook 3 to 5 minutes or until lightly browned.
3. Add coleslaw mix and garlic; sauté until cabbage is crisp-tender.
4. Create a small well in the center of the pan; add the whisked egg. Gently scrambled the egg in the well, then incorporate into the stir-fry.
5. Stir in sauce; mix well and cook until chicken is done. Top with cilantro, and lime wedges, if desired. Serve over cauliflower rice. Enjoy!
Photos: Regan Jones, RD
Loading More Posts...