In 2019, there is seemingly little that CBD can’t solve. Feeling anxious? Sip a CBD latte. Need to wear an uncomfy pair of high heels? Slather the stuff on your feet in balm form. Want to ramp up your romps in the hay? Slap some CBD lube on your lady bits. Yup, you read that last part right. Just when we thought we’d found every possible use for CBD, we discovered that CBD lube is a thing. And—surprise surprise—it might just be the best use of the stuff yet.
Below, everything you need to know about diving into the wild(ly fun) world of CBD lube. And no— it won’t get you high.
What are some of the benefits of CBD Lube?
“CBD lube can lead to increased sensitivity for some, and most experience relaxation which creates more willingness to receive pleasurable touch which in turn may lead to better and stronger orgasms,” says Tammy Nelson, PhD, a board certified sexologist and the author of Getting the Sex You Want. “Using CBD lube can help with vaginal pain, with penetration, and can decrease and even prevent irritation.” She notes that some manufacturers claim that CBD lube can moisturize and regenerate skin, but says that hasn’t seen any studies that can confirm that.
Research has, however, shown that there are some other sexy potential benefits associated with getting herbal in your intimate activities. CBD, and cannabis’s other standout element, THC, work with the endocannibinoid system in your body, which controls homeostasis and “can effect everything from your mood to your appetite to your sex drive and your body’s response during sex,” Dosist VP of Brand Derek McCarty told Well+Good last year.
CBD lube can also be beneficial for people who might experience pain during sex, which can be caused by a number of different things including vaginismus, vaginitis, PCOS, or vaginal tearing from birth. “CBD can help reduce tension in the pelvic floor so it can decrease pain with penetration and inflammation,” says Cyo Nystrom, CEO and co-founder of Quim. She also points to studies that show CBD to be very beneficial for people experiencing PTSD from sexual trauma.
Are there any risks?
The biggie, as with pretty much all CBD products, is that there’s no regulation just yet so you’ve gotta be a wise label-reader so you know exactly what you’re getting. AKA if what you’re using is actually legit “CBD products vary greatly depending on the CBD source as well as the modality of consumption,” says Nystrom, adding that different people can also respond to different types of CBD in varying ways. “I encourage people to do their own research and try and few different products a few times before making a judgment call.”
Another important thing to keep in mind is that many CBD lubes are oil based, so they aren’t safe to use with condoms because oil can cause latex to tear (which, ya know, kind of defeats the purpose of a condom). And apparently, there is a such thing as “too much of a good thing.” “If you use too much or the CBD lube is too potent, you run the risk of dulling sensation,” says Nystrom. Duly noted.
… But what do people who have actually tried it say?
“It was amazing,” Rachel S. (who, understandably, requested that her last name not be used here) told me over email about her foray into the wild world of cannabis lubricant. “I would describe the feeling as if just your vagina was high without your mind being high. Everything felt intensified compared to normal.” In the words of Cardi B., okurrrrr. One thing worth noting, though: The lube Rachel tried was a mix of CBD and THC, so don’t expect as many fireworks with a CBD-only iteration.
Given Rachel’s high praise, I decided to try the whole CBD lube thing for myself by way of Foria Awaken ($48). And, well, it really was amazing. It may have been part placebo effect, but it helped me chill the F out and relax while getting down to business in a totally new way… and I was damn near tempted to cancel my Friday night plans of going out and meeting boys to stay home with my CBD-lube and the Internet’s favorite vibrator. True story.
Ok, I’m convinced. Which products should I try?
1. Kush Queen Ignite CBD Lube ($50): This water-based lube promises “instant” results, and since it doesn’t contain any oil, it’s compatible with latex. (as mentioned, a lot of these lubes are made with coconut oil, which means they can cause condoms to break). One reviewer described Kush Queen’s lube as leaving his sexy bits feeling like they were being “hugged” for hours after use, which sounds wonderfully promising.
2. Foria Awaken Lube ($48): As far as CBD lubes go, Foria’s Awaken was the OG. It’s made with broad-spectrum CBD, kava kava extract, and botanical and aromatic oils in order to, “enhance tactile sensation & pleasure while decreasing tension, discomfort and dryness” (um, sign me up). They’re meant to be used as a sort of “pre-lube” to really get things going on the outside (aka your clitoris), and shouldn’t be mixed with latex condoms because of the whole “made with oils” thing. A few highlights from reviewers, who have clearly loved this product: “I’m grinning ear to ear just talking about it,” “pretty divine,” and “tastes the best.”
3. Privy Peach CBD-Infused Intimate Oil ($45): Designed with women in mind, Privy Peach’s CBD oil not only helps you *~*chill out*~* and enjoy what’s going down when you’re getting down, but it also promises to help stimulate your body’s own lubrication while increasing circulation to your lady parts. It starts off as a semi-solid, which is dosed out into 10 perfectly sized, single-use servings, but melts into a satisfying oil when it comes in contact with the heat from your skin (… while, ya know, things are heating up).
4. Bella Aqua D’Amore ($12): This water-based lube (read: can be used with condoms) features CBD that acts as an anti-inflammatory that also encourages blood flow for “optimal sexual wellness.” It feels like a true lube, so will get things nice and slippery but with the added benefits that CBD brings to the
5. Unbound Dazy CBD Lube ($55): “I was doubtful if this product could really go above the standard, but omg,” writes one fan of this CBD-infused pick, adding that it’s “worth the price by far.” It’s another water-based option, meaning that it’s condom-friendly… or can be used one-on-one with your favorite silicone toys. Another user reported that this lube gave her the “best orgasm of my life,” so take that as you will.
6. Quim Smooth Operator Intimate Serum ($48): This lube is packed with all kinds of good stuff. In addition to the CBD, it’s also got aloe which the brand’s website says will “improve collagen and vaginal elasticity, reduce inflammation.” 8-10 pumps of the stuff should be enough to get you going, and in addition to adding a little flavor to your sex-life (whether with a partner or alone), it also works as a vaginal moisturizer.
Even if you don’t have a partner to test out some sexy CBD with, not to worry — it can be just as much fun as a solo activity. And, fun fact: Did you know CBD can also be used to help with menstrual cramps?
Loading More Posts...