Braids are kind of the best style for dirty, messy, product-laden hair. And you if you don’t believe me, just ask associate digital editor Renee Jacques, who requested that I please braid her hair, even though “it’s knotted and filled with dry shampoo, and I haven’t washed it in days.” (If that’s not an exciting invitation, I don’t know what is.) But with a quick comb-through and a bunch of bobby pins, we had a crazy-easy wraparound braid that completely disguised her third- (fourth-?) day hair. Would you have known if I hadn’t told you?
Here’s how to create the look.
1. Blast your roots with dry shampoo and massage them to distribute the product. If you can, avoid brushing your hair, since this style looks best on messy, piecey waves. If it’s seriously knotty, lightly run a comb through.
2. Section off the front few inches of hair from above your temple, spray it with texturizing spray, then braid it all the way to the ends. Repeat on the other side.
3. Cross the braids in back, threading one under the other (as if you were about to tie a bow), and pin the braids in place against your head. Let the loose ends hang down and blend with the rest of your hair.
4. Tug lightly at the hair on your crown for volume, and pull out any wispy bangs and face-framing layers to soften the look.
5. Grab a friend to take a picture of the back of your head like a model.
Yup, it’s really that simple.
More reading from Allure
8 things you didn’t know about hair-smoothing treatments
The 6 prettiest haircuts for long hair
The 10 most gorgeous hair-color ideas for brunettes
The most flattering blonde hair colors for every skin tone
Loading More Posts...