Kathleen Jennings doesn’t think you should waste hours of your precious time booking manicures, blowouts, and bikini waxes.
“It makes sense to fill all of your beauty needs in one place,” says Jennings, who’s so passionate about beauty services and products she quit her job as an attorney to launch the booking app BeautyNow.
One year later, BeautyNow has more than 5,000 salons across the United States, including about 200 in New York City and 100 in Los Angeles ripe for booking.
The app shows you tons of appointments for every service from a blowout to a medi-spa session, and it recently landed the backing of John Paul DeJoria, the billionare co-founder of Paul Mitchell Products (and Patron Tequila, interestingly enough).
At home in Houston, Jennings fills BeautyNow’s blog with her skin-care advice, green juice and cleanse reviews, and info on her favorite products, like these five she swears by. —Lisa Elaine Held
1. Nuxe Reve de Miel Lip Balm ($9) My lip balm collection is embarrassingly large, but this is the one I reach for every night and re-purchase when I run out. A generous layer before bed moisturizes better than anything else I’ve tried—including fancy lip balms like By Terry and La Mer! This is the only lip balm that will still be on when you wake up in the morning, and a thin coating also works beautifully as a primer under matte lipsticks.
2. Shea Moisture Yucca & Baobab Thickening Shampoo ($10) Confession: I wear tape-in hair extensions to add volume to my thin, fine locks. You can only use sulfate-free shampoos with extensions, and this one is certified organic, cruelty-free, and available (for cheap) at the drugstore! It smells divine and is suprisingly very sudsy, which I like.
3. Tarte Park Avenue Princess Palette ($34) I’ve never found such a perfect palette—it’s marketed for contouring, but I don’t use it for the Kim Kardashian look. It’s a perfect bronzer, blush, and highlighter! The sleek compact (with an oversized mirror!) is perfect for travel because it holds these three products in one.
4. Klorane Dry Shampoo ($19.50) I’ve tried pretty much every dry shampoo on the market, and nothing can compare to the Klorane Dry Shampoo. It uses 100 percent natural plant extracts like oat milk and nettle to absorb oil while protecting and conditioning your locks. It’s $20, and the bottle runs out quickly, but it soaks up oil better than any brand I’ve tried and just makes your hair feel clean instead of coarse and product-y. Since I’m blonde, I use the original version that’s a white powder, but Klorane recently released a natural tint version for brunettes.
5. Prtty Peaushun ($45.50) This all-natural, vegan, shimmery body lotion is like an instant Hefe filter for your body! It’s not a self-tanner, but it adds a hint of glow to airbrush your gams and cover up veins and imperfections. Warning: It will get on your clothes if you dress after applying it, so I recommend putting on your outfit first and then applying it to skin that’s exposed. Even though I/m pale, I swear by the “Dark” shade. I hear Gwyneth is a fan…
For more information, visit www.beautynowapp.com