Sunnie Brook has perfect hair. It’s a likely side effect from a 15-year career as a celebrity hairdresser… The tall, fit brunette has made a name for herself in Los Angeles for being a wizard with locks, whether on a production set, in an editorial shoot, or with her loyal clientele. “I grew fascinated with doing my dolls’ and my little sisters’ hair,” says Brook, when you ask her how she got started. Her client list has now included everyone from Lana Del Rey and Hailee Steinfeld to members of Mumford & Sons.
Four years ago Brook started a blog, Sunnie Brook, as a way to give her clients advice when they weren’t in her chair. Ditto her Youtube channel, where it’s actually possible to learn and repeat her cool upstyles, for example. And her online beauty shop—which features adorable items like a bobby-pin set and a signature hair towel—benefits Two Wings, a nonprofit that empowers at-risk youth in Southern California.
And yet despite being a mindful member of the beauty industry for more than a decade, it took a girls’ get-together in New York City for Brook to truly get turned on to the value of natural beauty products. “A bunch of friends and I were having dinner one night, and they had so much knowledge on the topic, and it really opened my mind,” says Brook, who’s now a convert. “Natural products work with your body’s chemistry. I’ve noticed over time you see the integrity of the hair and skin increase.”
Whatever Brook is doing, it’s working. Here are five of her top natural beauty picks. —Sari Anne Tuschman
1. Jao Brand Goe Oil ($48) You can use this on your hair and skin as well as on your body, cuticles, and as a makeup remover. Now that’s amazing! Just think of all the space it saves in your bathroom.
2. Lucas’ Papaw Ointment ($12) I have this with me at all times. It’s natural papaya extract. It works as a lip balm and a burn cream and is great for rashes, cuts, and irritations. It’s a little tube of healing.
3. Original Minerals Firm Hold Hairspray ($26) This brand has a lot of amazing products that are paraben free. Original Queenie hairspray is my go-to. Their products have a light smell and deliver the results they promise. Each product has a chart on the back that diagrams the hold and finish strength to help you understand how to use them. I love companies that help educate you on the how-to of their products.
4. Curls While You Sleep Kit ($59) This is a kit in my beauty shop that uses organic Shear Miracles spray gel with super clean ingredients, like aloe and a non-GMO corn extract, plus a custom-designed headband to create curls while you sleep. They last for days!
5. Milk Anti-Frizz Nourishing Treatment ($42) I use this product pretty much daily, and on every hair type. It has 16 essentials oils, and the smell is incredible! It controls fly-aways but also nourishes the hair and keeps it from tangling. Everyone needs this product.
For more information, visit www.sunniebrook.com
Loading More Posts...