Sure, there are the allergies. Not to mention the super-dry, pasty skin that hasn’t seen the light of day in months. But one of the trickiest parts of spring? Dressing for that unpredictable, in-between weather.
It’s like that Britney Spears song: It’s not puffer coat season, not yet time for tank tops. But that doesn’t mean you just give up and stay inside watching the new season of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt all day. (Wait, just us?)
To help you with every possible springtime scenario—April showers! Cold spells! Heat waves!—we broke down every category that might help you make it to summer. No matter your budget, style preference, or geographic location (looking at you, SoCal girls), there’s a layering piece in our round-up that will definitely come in handy.
Keep reading for our ultimate guide to layering pieces.
On days when the air is still crisp—but the sun is already peeking out—keeping your core toasty with a vest will help circulate warmth throughout your whole body without having to worry about constrictive sleeves. But, perhaps most importantly, vests are so cute, right?
1. Performance: Nike vest, $180
2. Athleisure: Earned Not Given tank, $27.95
3. Eco-friendly: Patagonia Snap-T Fleece vest, $99
4. Splurge: Canada Goose Freestyle vest, $345
5. Budget-friendly: New Balance Wind Cheater vest, $29.99
A lightweight jacket is as vital to your to-and-from look as a cool pair of sneakers. Why? Because the zip-up allows adjustable warmth. So while the weather pulls an “It’s complicated” with its seasonal allegiances, you can continue to have a steady relationship with your workout of choice.
1. Budget-friendly: Asics Thermopolis Running hoodie, $41.99
2. Athleisure: River Island Slouchy hoodie, $60
3. Performance: Falke jacket, $175
4. Eco-friendly: Prana zip-up jacket, $50
5. Splurge: Sweaty Betty Track Ready Run jacket, $160
Live in a part of the country where springtime feels like some cruel version of The Weather Channel’s greatest hits, with rainstorms and insane gusts of wind the norm? To ensure that you’re warm and dry (okay, maybe dry-ish), opt for a waterproof windbreaker to protect you from the elements. Because an out-of-nowhere shower shouldn’t cramp your training style.
1. Eco-friendly: Columbia Flashback windbreaker, $60
2. Splurge: Adidas by Stella McCartney Running Blossom hooded jacket, $275
3. Performance: Northface Fuseform Cesium anorak, $199
4. Athleisure: Huf Varick packable jacket, $85
5. Budget-friendly: Champion Marathon Running jacket, $48
A cozy sweatshirt is good any time of year, but when the temps don’t require a full-on jacket, you’ll want to live in one. No, seriously: Whether you’re lounging around at home, on your way to barre class, or making a farmers’ market pit-stop, we bet a stylish sweatshirt will come in handy.
1. Splurge: T by Alexander Wang sweatshirt, $330
2. Eco-friendly: Nau Elementerry pullover, $94.95
3. Performance: Monreal hooded top, $235
4. Athleisure: Ivy Park sweatshirt, $75
5. Budget-friendly: H&M hooded crop, $19.99
Now that you’ve got the perfect layering piece, get that winter-blasted skin in check. Here are 3 homemade beauty recipes for glowing skin and 12 super-clean face masks to soothe any leftover dryness. In full-on spring cleaning mode? Here’s how to make your own non-toxic home cleaners.