It’s holiday party season, sure, but once you teach yourself a makeup trick, it becomes part of your repertoire forever. (Like, remember when you finally learned how to put on mascara correctly?)
Which is why you’ll definitely want to master one (or both) of these party-ready looks, from top natural makeup brand Alima Pure.
We tried them both—at the office, so excuse the lack of party-ready hair and dress—and neither took more than 15 minutes to execute. They don’t include face makeup, just eye and lip, which is sensibly perfect for those whose schedules are crazy this time of year.
Check out the tutorials, below, for a smoky eye and subtle lip, or a neutral eye with bold lip, complete with our useful observations and tips.
Smoky Eye and Subtle Lip
1. First curl your lashes.
2. Use the lighter shadow shade all over the lid and as a base and to highlight the brow bone and inner corner of the eye.
3. Next, smudge the Natural Definition Eye Pencil along the lash line and gently defuse the line with a brush or your fingertip.
4. Use Angle Liner Brush to apply deeper powder eye shadow or liner shade along the upper and lower lash line. Blend slightly upward onto the lid so that you achieve a soft gradient of color around the eye. Note: On the upper lid, go slowly and gradually add and blend upward. The black color looked crazy dramatic to me at first, but I had to go back and add more because it actually wasn’t dramatic enough. Also, on the lower line, using a brush like the Angle Liner is key, since it’s tough to apply the dark color under your eye without it going to far (resulting in a black eye/raccoon look).
5. Sweep a generous coat of mascara on your lashes.
6. Define your brows with Natural Definition Brow Pencil.
7. Apply nude lip color. (The one pictured is the Velvet Lipstick in Louise.)
Bold Lip and Neutral Eye
You’ll need: The Ultimate Brow Set ($55) + Velvet Lipstick ($26) in Stella, Georgia, or Beatrice + Optional: Satin Matte Eyeshadow ($14) in Fawn or Ash, Large Shadow Brush ($17), Natural Definition Mascara ($22)
1. Sweep brows upward using the Brow Brush + Comb.
2. Starting at the bottom of the brow line, use feathery strokes with the pencil and blend upward to fill thin spots.
3. Gently brush through the brows to blend and smooth the application.
4. For extra impact, use the same technique and brush the Satin Matte Eyeshadow or Eyeliner back through the brows with the Angle Liner Brush. Note: Alima’s instructions said to go completely bare on the eyes. But I felt a little naked, so I brushed on a totally neutral, nude eye shade on my lids just to mattify, and then brushed on a tiny bit of mascara because…you can’t not.
5. Apply your favorite bold Velvet Lipstick. (The one pictured is Beatrice.)
Another shortcut to looking great during the holidays? Super-nourished, healthy skin. Check out these 5 Ayurvedic tips for glowing skin.
(Photos: Melisse Gelula for Well+Good)
Loading More Posts...