And that’s exactly why we’ve rounded up some amazing outdoor fitness classes that are offered all over the city this summer, and that happen to be cheaper than ClassPass.
These five picks (organized by borough) are all special summer offerings happening in the city’s major parks and piers, all season long—and not one will cost you a single cent.
Just be prepared to feel spent in a different way. —Lisa Elaine Held
1. Summer of Fitness Meet-Ups with Lole and Fitist. This incredibly popular series is back for the fourth year, and includes many of NYC fitness scene’s best instructors and workouts—we’re talking 305 Fitness and The Fhitting Room to Bari Studio and 30/60/90. Workouts are on Pier 25 and Pier 46 on Tuesday and Wednesday evenings. www.eventbrite.com
2. Barre3 in Bryant Park. The West Village barre studio (part of the buzzy workout method known for its cool factor nationwide) moves outdoors to Bryant Park on Monday mornings at 7:30 a.m., with mats provided by Athleta. www.bryantpark.org
3. Summer in the Square in Union Square Park. Free fitness takes over the park on Thursdays with a variety of classes from nearby gyms, like dance cardio sessions with Crunch, strength classes with Brick, and Pilates with Clay. www.summerinthesquare.com
4. Workouts in Brooklyn Bridge Park. You’ll have one of the best views in the city during workout classes like ballet barre and Broadway dance, taught by instructors from the Dodge YMCA, and hosted by Brooklyn Bridge Park Conservancy. Or you could hop in a kayak for a summer adventure. www.brooklynbridgepark.org
5. Healthy Living in Socrates Sculpture Park. If you’re looking for some mindful fitness, this sculpture park on the East River in Long Island City offers Tai Chi and yoga on the weekends, along with kayaking and canoeing on the water. Plus, it hosts a greenmarket, so you can multitask with a post-class veggie pickup, too. www.socratessculpturepark.org
More of a yogi than a fitness person? Check out these 10 incredible outdoor yoga classes happening around New York City this summer.
(Photos: Lole, Summer in the Square)
Loading More Posts...