Whether training for the next race or just addicted to the endorphin rush, runners who travel have their own set of priorities. As soon as you drop those bags on the hotel floor, you know you’ll be itching to explore the city in the best way you know how: by lacing up for a run. There’s nothing like the feeling of fresh air, catching the sunrise, and (hopefully) discovering a great coffee shop after you log a few miles. It’s all part of what makes running one of the best ways to check out a new city.
As the TravelFitLove founder and a fitness instructor in New York City, Shelby Albo knows a thing or two about what makes a city a great place to find your stride. “If I’m in a new city, I use a run as an active way to explore,” she says. “It not only gets me acquainted to the area but allows me to see what’s nearby, so I can go back to something during my stay.”
And let’s be real: It’s a good way to decompress after a long flight. There’s nothing like a run to help clear the air and help you feel centered. “If I’m at a beach resort or on a trail, the destination most likely gives me time to take in the beauty, nature, and scenery,” she says. “It is calming—a type of meditation for me.” Of course, safety is of the utmost importance when you’re in a place you’ve never been before, so look for landmarks during your run so that you can easily find your way back home.
Ready to hit the ground…running? Here, Albo shares her favorite running destinations that offer amazing trails and dreamy scenery.
Keep scrolling to discover Albo’s top cities for runners.
1.Charleston, South Carolina: Along the Battery
2.Denver, Colorado: Washington Park and City Park
3. Los Angeles, California: Runyon Canyon
4. New York, New York: Central Park and along the Hudson River path
5. San Francisco, California: Golden Gate Park
6. Dublin, Ireland: Along the River Liffey
7. Sydney, Australia: Around Circular Quay and the Bondi-to-Coogee coastal walk
8. Buenos Aires, Argentina: Parque Tres de Febrero
9. Santiago, Chile: Parque Metropolitano/Cerro San Cristóbal
10. Havana, Cuba: Along the Malecón
11. Cinque Terre, Italy: Spend the day hiking through the five villages.
12. Paris, France: Along the Seine river and in Luxembourg Park
13. Cape Town, South Africa: Table Mountain
Loading More Posts...