This year, famed plant-based and classically trained chef Candice Kumai is kicking off Well+Good's (Re)New Year program with five weeks of healthy—and delish—recipes. For the first week, all 25 recipes she's sharing are crafted specifically to give your gut a boost. And no, that doesn't mean just sipping on green juices or eating loads of sauerkraut.
Ready to kick off your week of gut-boosting meals? Here, you'll see recipes for spirulina-spiked smoothies, creamy coconut acai bowls, and (of course) matcha and avocado toast. (What, you thought you'd have to give up your fave go-to breakfast? Nope!)
One of the power ingredients you'll see being used throughout is collagen. Similar to how collagen is known to keep skin smooth, it works to smooth your gut, too—which makes digesting food easier. Also (repeatedly) on the menu: spinach. It's no secret that greens are good for your gut, but they shouldn't just be reserved for lunch and dinner—getting that fiber in the AM is important, too.
All the recipes here are made with plant-based milks, which are easier on the gut than dairy—even if you aren't lactose intolerant.
Keep reading for a week's worth of gut-healthy breakfast recipes from Candice Kumai.
Monday: Clean-gut anti-inflammatory smoothie
Makes 3 servings
1 frozen banana (or swap for 1 avocado to reduce sugar)
3/4 cup frozen blueberries
3/4 cup frozen blackberries
1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
1 tsp bee pollen
1/4 cup raw walnuts
1 cup baby spinach
1 tsp spirulina powder (optional)
1. Add all ingredients to a blender. Blend until smooth.
Tuesday: Matcha cleansing smoothie
1. Add ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
Wednesday: Acai coconut macadamia smoothie bowl
1. In a powerful blender, add your acai packets (slightly defrosted), frozen banana, blueberries, and coconut or almond milk and blend until you've achieved a frozen yogurt consistency. Using a spatula, place the acai mix into two shallow bowls.
2. Top with the coconut pieces, banana slices, pineapple slices, mac nuts, and hemp seeds.
Thursday: Low-sugar chocolate avocado smoothie
1 ripe avocado, pitted
1/2 frozen banana
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa or toasted carob powder
1/2 cup kale, chopped
1/2 tsp stevia
1 scoop vegan protein powder (optional)
1 cup ice
1. Place all ingredients into a high-powered blender and blend until smooth. Drink immediately.
Friday: Matcha latte and avocado toast
For the matcha latte
1. Place your matcha powder in a high-powered blender. Add your hot water and coconut butter. Blend on low for a few seconds, then carefully bring to medium-high power. Blend for about 10 to 15 additional seconds.
2. Pour into desired serving cups and pour your fave almond milk into the side of the bowl to top off.
For the avocado toast
1. Toast up your favorite bread or flatbread.
2. Add a few ripe avocado slices. Mash with a fork, if desired.
3. Sprinkle with chili flakes, extra virgin olive oil, and sea salt.
4. For some extra heat, add Tabasco or Sriracha sauce.
Loading More Posts...