This Anti-Inflammatory Cauliflower Steak Recipe Is a Celebrity Nutritionist’s Favorite Healthy Dinner
Certified nutritionist Kimberly Snyder, CN—who works with clients including Drew Barrymore, Reese Witherspoon, and Kerry Washington—has spent a lot of time experimenting with cauliflower. Her secret on taking it to a whole new level is pairing the veggie with a sweet potato puree, made with a power combo of three gut-healthy spices: cumin, turmeric, and cinnamon. "[They're all] digestion-enhancing spices," Snyder says. Plus, turmeric and cinnamon are both anti-inflammatory rock stars.
Watch the video below to see more reasons why turmeric is good for you:
The creaminess of the puree (which is also made with coconut milk) balances out the crispness of the cauliflower perfectly. The recipe is just one of the 100 healthy recipes featured in the Well+Good Cookbook, and is a personal favorite of Well+Good co-founder Alexia Brue's. Ready for a taste, so to speak? Keep reading for the full cauliflower steak recipe, straight from the cookbook.
Cauliflower steaks with sweet potato puree
For the cauliflower:
1 head of cauliflower
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp cumin
Sea salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
For the puree:
3 medium carrots, sliced into thick chunks
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and coarsely chopped
2 to 3 Tbsp coconut milk
1/4 Tbsp turmeric
1/2 tsp cinnamon
Sea salt, to taste
1/2 cup parsley chopped, for topping
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Slice the cauliflower through the core into four "steaks." Place the cauliflower steaks on the prepared baking sheet.
3. Whisk the coconut oil, lemon juice, cumin, sea salt, and black pepper together in a bowl. Brush half of the coconut oil mixture over the tops of the cauliflower steaks.
4. Roast the cauliflower steams in the oven for 15 minutes. Gently turn over each steak and brush with the remaining coconut oil mixture. Continue roasting for 15 to 20 minutes more, until tender and golden.
5. Meanwhile, place the carrots and sweet potatoes in a medium-sized pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and cook for 20 minutes, until the carrots are very tender.
6. Drain the carrots and sweet potatoes and put them in the food processor along with two tablespoons of coconut milk, along with the turmeric, cinnamon, and sea salt. Puree on high until smooth. Stop occasionally to push the contents to the bottom. If necessary, add a bit more coconut milk to thin out the puree, but the less liquid, the better.
7. To assemble, spread one-fourth of the puree (or less if you prefer it to be just a steak of color) on the bottom of each of the four plates. Top with the cauliflower steaks and sprinkle with fresh parsley. This is great to serve along with or after a big green salad.
Loading More Posts...