Here are 9 stories that will help you understand the workout even better—from what the heck it is to why it works.
1. Tabata: What it really means
The trendy fitness term crops up in workouts from barre to boot camp—where it can be used incorrectly. An expert sets us straight.
2. Why you might not want to do HIIT workouts two days in a row
As much as you may *totally* love back-to-back, killer workouts, taking time to recover is just as important as getting super sweaty.
3. Why High Intensity Interval Training is having a moment
HIIT packs as much intense energy as possible into as little time as possible. And the method’s producing mad results.
4. High Intensity Interval Training found to lower your appetite
The workout you’ve grown to love (and sometimes hate) might cause you to eat less, says a study.
An all-star HIIT move—the burpee—can lead to major sweat gains, but just make sure your form is on point. Square your shoulders over your hands while locking your elbows, watch out for drooping hips, and stretch out your hips beforehand.
6. Spot-burning fat: The fitness myth that won’t go away
According to experts and research, spot-burning fat is impossible. Here’s what that means for your workouts.
7. Are you still burning calories after your workout’s over?
Why is your body still burning excess calories after you break a sweat? And what kinds of workouts deliver the greatest afterburn effect?
If you're ready to remix your HIIT habit, HILIT (AKA, high-intensity, low-impact training) is your best bet.
Originally published May 22, 2015; updated June 4, 2018.
Loading More Posts...