The 30-Minute Butt-Sculpting Workout Dakota Johnson Swears By
If you've seen Dakota Johnson bare all in the 50 Shades flicks, it's hard to imagine that her workout routine is anything but 50 shades of torture. (The non-sexy kind.)
But surprisingly enough, no barf-inducing boot camps were required to, ahem, whip the actress into shape. In preparation for her latest stint as Anastasia Steele, Johnson worked with celebrity trainer Ramona Braganza, who prescribed a series of 30-minute circuits, three times a week. Yep, that's all.
Since the star used to do ballet, Braganza incorporated plenty of nods to the barre in the bum-shaping series.
According to Braganza, Johnson wasn't set on sculpting a six-pack—she just wanted to feel good in her own skin. "With her, it was always about lengthening, which comes through the core," says Braganza. To that end, she included ample ab work to the butt-sculpting plié jumps, leg lifts, and donkey kicks in the sequence (a version of which is outlined below).
And since the star used to do ballet, Braganza incorporated plenty of nods to the barre in the bum-shaping series: The workout's cardio segments consisted of plié jumps, and strength training interludes involved lots of graceful, pointed-toe leg lifts and movements inspired by Pilates. Johnson also opted to do hot yoga once or twice a week to mix it up.
Of course, even short workouts sometimes require a little motivation. For that, Johnson turned to iTunes. "She liked to listen to lots of old-school stuff like Motown," says Braganza. What, no The Weeknd?
Scroll down for Dakota Johnson's entire 50 Shades Darker workout routine (illustrated by Braganza herself), which you can do at home in just 30 minutes.
- Plié jumps, first position: Heels together, toes apart, arms stretched out straight (2 minutes)
2. Butt sculpting
For these exercises, Braganza recommends using 1-2 pound ankle weights. Complete 4 sets of 8 reps on each leg.
- Leg lifts (keep top foot angled towards the ground)
- Leg lifts (keep legs perpendicular to your body in a 90-degree angle)
- Donkey kicks
- Fire hydrant to side kick
- Single-leg bridge lifts
3. Cardio (again)
- Plié jumps, second position: Legs in a squat, feet outward, arms stretched out straight (2 minutes)
- Shoulder press into arm raise with 1-2 pound ball weights (10 reps)
- Small arm circles with weights while in a lunge (10 reps per leg)
- Tricep push-back while leaning forward and balancing on one leg (10 reps per leg)
- Standing kicks with hands in fists in front of face as you balance on one leg (10 reps per leg)
5. Cardio (last time, promise!)
- Plié jumps, second position: Legs in a squat position with toes pointed out, arms stretched out straight (2 minutes)
- Seated crunches with arm twist—begin with arms straight in front, holding 1-2 pound balls, then twist to each side (raising that arm as you move), and finally hold both hands straight above your head as you face center (20 reps)
- Crunches with one leg straight on the ground, one leg up in the air, with the ball weights (10 reps per leg)
- V-sit and roll-and-extend—after crunching into a V, roll onto your stomach and lift your legs and feet together. Repeat by rolling onto the opposite side (5 per side)
- Forearm plank with hands squeezed together (2 minutes)
For more celeb fitspo, check out Karlie Kloss's official workout and Blake Lively's training regimen.
Loading More Posts...