Nowadays it seems like “arm day” and “leg day” reign supreme when it comes to working out, but I’m all for the full-body sweat sesh that leaves every muscle feeling like a giant fire emoji once you’re done. So recently, when I did an Instagram deep dive, I was reminded of how Gabrielle Union’s feed is pretty much a goldmine of fitspo.
Not only does she multi-task in a seriously impressive way (case in point: this ab move that also doubles as a glute toner), she also knows how to put together a workout that ticks the boxes of all the major muscles. In fact, her “workout” highlights include a five-move sequence (tap to the very end!) that looks pretty killer. Here’s how to replicate it at the gym wherever you are.
Steal Gabrielle Union’s full-body workout
1. Bulgarian split squats: Start with your front foot on the ground and your back foot on a bench. Lower your body into a lunge, making sure your front knee doesn’t go over your toes. Push back up into the starting position. If you want to make it harder, hold free weights in your hands as you lunge (Union’s IG story shows her using weights).
2. Sumo deadlifts: This variation of a deadlift is done with your feet shoulder-width apart and toes slightly turned out. From there, push your hips back and bend your knees to reach down and grab your barbell, then reverse to stand up. Make sure your hips are fully extended at the top.
3. Hanging leg raises: Start by hanging from a pull-up bar. (Engage your lats, don’t just dead hang.) Keeping your upper body still and your legs straight, raise your legs up as high as you can, then lower back down in a controlled manner. Repeat and feel your abs burn.
4. Step ups: Start in a standing position with both feet on the floor, facing a box or bench. Step your right leg up and place your foot on the box, making sure your knee is in line with your ankle. Press your right heel into the box and straighten your right leg as you bend your left knee and lift your leg toward your chest until your left quad is parallel with the floor. Return your left leg to the ground to complete the rep.
5. Starfish side plank: Get into a side plank position, with your hand underneath your shoulder and your feet stacked. Raise your top arm and leg, and hold. Repeat on the other side.
Loading More Posts...