These 5-Ingredient, Gluten-Free Shortbread Cookies Are So Simple, You Could Bake Them in Your Sleep
Coach Ted Lasso is is known for many things: cheery optimism, a mustache that somehow really works, and shortbread cookies that are good enough to win over even the most hardened of hearts. The latter is the inspiration behind this week's episode of Alt-Baking Bootcamp. In the episode, nutritionist Mia Rigden demos a classic shortbread cookie recipe. But, in typical Alt-Baking Bootcamp fashion, Rigden presents us with a way to bake delicious gluten-free shortbread cookies without dairy—or, honestly, any effort whatsoever—that are just as tasty Lasso's beloved treats.
"This recipe only has five simple ingredients," Rigden says. And chances are, if you avoid gluten, you already have everything on hand: gluten-free all-purpose flour, refined coconut oil, honey, vanilla extract, and salt. That's it.
If you're worried that gluten-free shortbread cookies won't be flaky and delicious without dairy or butter, put all of your concerns aside. The refined coconut oil, which is replacing the butter that you'd find in a typical shortbread cookie recipe, gives the same flaky texture without adding any coconut flavor to the cookie. Plus the honey, which Rigden uses in place of refined sugar, adds sweetness and creaminess. The end result is a flavorful, flaky cookie that tastes so rich and buttery without any dairy or gluten that you could bake in your sleep. (Seriously, petition to make shortbread cookies for breakfast a thing.)
Press play on the video above to see the recipe in action, and follow along with the full instructions for the cookies below. And if you haven't watched Ted Lasso yet, this is a sign that you should go do so immediately—after all, what else will you watch as you down this delicious dessert?
Dairy-free, gluten-free shortbread cookies recipe
2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
1 cup refined coconut oil, soft but not melted
1/2 cup honey
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
1. Preheat the oven to 350° F. Line a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with parchment paper, or grease the sides.
2. In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the all-purpose flour and salt. Mix to combine.
3. Add in the coconut oil, followed by the honey and vanilla extract. Continue to mix until well-combined.
4. Press the dough into the baking pan to form an even layer, then use a fork to create holes on the top of the dough.
5. Bake for 25-35 minutes, or until slightly golden. Check the oven at 25 minutes.
6. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before cutting into rectangles.
Oh hi! You look like someone who loves free workouts, discounts for cutting-edge wellness brands, and exclusive Well+Good content. Sign up for Well+, our online community of wellness insiders, and unlock your rewards instantly.
Loading More Posts...