Come summer time in Amagansett, Kristen Peterson’s daughter would inevitably break out in a prickly heat rash that would last through the sunny months. When a doctor told Peterson it was a reaction to sunscreen, the former Wall Street analyst began to do her homework. “I started researching what’s in sunscreen and was finding all of these chemical irritants,” she says.
So Peterson worked with a chemist to develop Babyhampton, a new all-natural, mineral-based sunscreen free of harsh chemicals like hormone-disrupting oxybenzone, which is common in traditional brands. The clean sunscreen for kids launched last year, and the awakening inspired Peterson to make more natural choices when it came to her own skin care, too.
“It totally changes the way you look at things,” says Peterson. Now her beauty regimen relies heavily on essential oils, and she’s even working on developing a Babyhampton body wash and body lotion, which are scheduled to debut in mid-May.
Here, Peterson shares the five beauty products she’s loving now.
1. Heritage Store Auro Glow Almond Oil ($7) This is great for moisturizing the body after a hot shower or bath and smells delicious. I use almond oil in the winter and switch to Pure Coconut Oil in the summer to moisturize and nourish my skin—my fave brand is Spectrum Organic Coconut Oil ($12).
2. Floracopeia Essential Oils ($26) A few drops (lavender, eucalyptus, tangerine…depending on my mood) in my bath combined with Epsom salt is a great way to start or end my day!
3. Heritage Store Rosewater & Glycerin ($6.50) I use this as a toner, and it leaves me with a dewy look. I’ll wash my face and then spritz it, and then apply an oil. Or, if I put on an under-eye concealer, I’ll spritz it again after, and it helps it stay and just makes you look fresh-faced.
4. Kiehl’s Olive Fruit Oil Nourishing Shampoo ($28) and Conditioner ($30) This my favorite shampoo and conditioner set! It leaves my hair healthy and soft no matter what season it is, and has avocado oil, lemon extract, and olive fruit oil.
5. Babyhampton Beach Bum SPF 30 Sunscreen ($19.99) Last but not least! My sunscreen is mineral-based, made from zinc oxide—not titanium dioxide—as zinc oxide is the only mineral that is effective to provide full broad-spectrum protection against both UVA (cancer causing and aging) and UVB (sun burning) rays. We use only high quality certified organic ingredients, including grape-seed extract, green tea, shea butter, and extra virgin olive and jojoba oils, which help moisturize the skin while protecting from the sun. Everyone in my family uses Babyhampton! —Lisa Elaine Held