These days, we spend most of our waking hours attached to phones, tablets, and computers. (Including now.)
And while technology is great, it can have some less-than-positive physical effects on your body. (Many scientists are concerned about the potential health risks—and possible carcinogenic effects—from the low-level electromagnetic fields, or EMFs, that your favorite gadgets emit.)
Enter Shannon Vaughn and the Digital Detox Bath ($34) from the former model and wellness maven’s line of detoxing bath products, Pursoma. Made with super high-quality French grey sea salts and French green clay, it’s meant to help counteract the effects of all the EMFs you encounter each day, from your smartphone, your computer, your Wifi—even your refrigerator, she says.
And while bath salts may seem like an unconventional first line of defense against EMF radiation, “you’d be surprised just how effective they can be,” she explains. Vaughn says a good soak can help your body release exposure to all kind of toxins, plus relieve stress, and clear up brain fog.
Ready to give it a try? Read on for Vaughn’s step-by-step guide to the ultimate day of detox. —Victoria Lewis
What you’ll need:
– Dry brush, loofah or rough washcloth
– Hydrosol or non-alcoholic facial toner (I love Tata Harper’s Hydrating Floral Essence)
– Filtered or spring water
– Large, cozy towel and/or bathrobe
Steps to the ultimate detox treatment:
1. Start with warm water and fresh lemon upon rising in the morning.
2. Follow up with 10 minutes of meditation.
3. Eat healthy all day—a light breakfast, salad for lunch (the ones from Sakara Life are fantastic, says Vaughn), and a very light dinner (avoid sugar, dairy, soy, legumes, starchy grains, processed foods, red meat, caffeine, and alcohol).
4. Drink 2–3 liters of water throughout the day.
5. Drink a few cups of herbal tea throughout the day, preferably dandelion root tea.
6. If you have fresh or cold-pressed juice available, have that as your dinner instead of a meal.
7. Exercise—yoga or light cardio for at least 45 minutes.
8. Take off your clothes when you get home, air out your body, and if you have the opportunity, put on something really light and go sit in the sun for 20 minutes.
10. Before stepping into the tub, drink 16 ounces of filtered or spring water before the Pursoma detox treatment.
11. Select a Pursoma bath and be sure to follow the instructions on the label, making sure to note when to rinse off or leave the product on the body.
12. Spray hydrosol/facial toner on your face intermittently during the bath or place a cool washcloth on your face during soak.
13. Drink 16 ounces of water after your bath, then sweat and rest—under a heavy blanket or extra layers of clothing—for about 20 minutes.
14. Towel dry your body, and apply pure oil (coconut, sesame, jojoba, or argan are good options) all over your body.
15. Head straight to sleep.
For more information, visit pursomalife.com
(Photos: D. Sharon Pruitt, Linda Farwell, Pursoma)
How to: The detoxing skin-care practice holistic mavens are obsessed with
13 detoxifying foods you should add to your diet now
How to detox for fall: 3 steps to start the season with tons of energy
Loading More Posts...