Labor Day Weekend is summer’s last call, when hoards of New Yorkers traditionally decamp for the beach.
Some hop a Jitney for the Hamptons or a ferry to the Jersey Shore. But plenty hit the airports—and it’s you we’re concerned about. Are you packing your sunscreen? Will you remember your facial oil? Is your natural cleanser travel size?
To avoid long lines, baggage fees, and the apparently very-real threat of luggage theft, you need to be able to pack your natural beauty regimen into 3.4 ounce bottles in a quart-sized plastic bag—not an easy feat.
“I don’t check luggage, and I refuse to use conventional cosmetics, even when I’m out of town,” says No More Dirty Looks author Siobhan O’Connor. “So I have to get crafty with how I pack my products. It took some doing, but I finally have it down.”
What are O’Connor’s essentials? We asked her—and Well+Good’s own beauty guru, Melisse Gelula—to share their perfect all-natural beauty travel kit. Bon voyage!
Siobhan O’Connor, Author, No More Dirty Looks
1. Tata Harper Face Cleanser (1.7 oz. bottle)
2. A travel-size bottle (1 fl. oz.) of Kahina Giving Beauty Argan Oil, which I use on my face, body, nails, and hair.
3. A facial sunscreen that I use on my body, too. My favorite right now is 100% Pure’s Argan Oil Sunscreen with SPF 30 (2 oz. bottle).
4. Tear-away packets of shampoo from Rahua, Aubrey Organics, or John Masters. Natural beauty sites like Nubonau and Spirit Beauty Lounge include sample packets with every order. When you place orders, use the “extra comments” field to politely request samples, or just ask for some at your local Whole Foods; they all have them, too.
5. My trusted Rare Elements Conditioner, which I pour into a small bottle I get at Whole Foods.
Melisse Gelula, Co-Founder/Editor, Well+Good
1. Red Flower Ocean Body Wash. Red Flower makes natural body-care products that are used in a lot of hotels and spas, so I abscond with their small in-room bottles, which are small enough to travel with.
2. An exfoliating facial cleanser like Susan Ciminelli Algae Deep Cleanse (2 oz.) or Tata Harper Regenerating Cleanser (1.7 oz.).
3. HGO Lab Neroli Oil is my facial serum, night treatment, and eye treatment in one (.3 oz.).
4. Moisturizers are easy to find in 3 ounces or less. Weleda makes sweet sizes for travel (1.7 oz.), and I like their affordable Almond and Pomegranate lines.
5. Facial sunscreen that can be used for body and/or a tinted moisturizer with an SPF 30 like this 2 oz. Josie Maran one.
6. One item I’ll bother to decant into a travel-size pot is Rahua Finishing Cream. It’s a salve for my thick, curly hair. —Lisa Elaine Held
Loading More Posts...