The Best Healthy-Ish Cocktail for Your Sign
Just ask Aliza Kelly Faragher, author of The Mixology of Astrology: Cosmic Cocktail Recipes for Every Sign, the new book that devotes an entire section of drink recipes for every zodiac sign. Besides dishing out a high-vibe method for choosing a cocktail, Faragher knows a thing or two about becoming a master mixologist. Sound intimidating? According to her, anyone can mix a cocktail like a pro.
"Mixology is all about well-balanced proportions, quality ingredients, and creative ingenuity. It's about celebrating your five senses; not obliterating them," Faragher says. (Where was that advice in college, right?)
In order to get started mixing your own cosmic cocktails, she recommends investing in a stirrer and shaker—a metal set in particular because, unlike plastic, it cools the beverage while maintaining the ingredients' raw flavors.
Faragher also says that any recipe that calls for sugar can be adapted using a natural sweetener, like agave or stevia. And of course working your fave healthy herbs into your drink is a bonus, too. Now that you're inspired to mix things up—literally—find out what to make, based on your astrological sign.
Keep reading for a cosmic cocktail recipe for every sign, with tips from Faragher herself.
Aries: Hot ’n’ Sassy
"Aries are enchanted by anything shiny and new, so the Hot ’n’ Sassy is an ideal cocktail for these cutting-edge rams," Faragher says. The spicy jalapeno paired with vodka and citris make for a cocktail as fiery as the Aries' spirit.
3 jalapeño slices, seeded
2 clementine slices, seeded
1 oz vodka
1 oz lemon-lime soda
1/2 oz lime juice
1. Use muddler or the base of a wooden spoon to muddle jalapeño and clementine slices in a cocktail shaker.
2. Add vodka and ice and shake vigorously.
3. Pour into a highball glass filled with fresh ice, lemon-lime soda, and lime juice. Stir, sip, and enjoy!
Taurus: Brave Bull
Since the Taurus generally prefers the finer things in life—the Brave Bull is no exception. "Celestial bulls will adore the concept (Taureans are extremely courageous), as well as the concoction itself. The Brave Bull is a tequila-based version of a Black Russian, and is the ideal happy hour refreshment. Tequila’s agave base creates a strong, complex flavor that enhances the java taste, delivering a well-balanced beverage," Faragher notes.
2 oz. silver tequila
1 oz. coffee liqueur
1. Pour silver tequila into a rocks glass filled with large ice cubes, and slowly add coffee liqueur.
2. Swirl glass gently, or lightly stir, to mix ingredients.
Gemini: Spiked Cider
Geminis are social by nature, so they'd love to mix up this party-friendly drink. "Even without the alcohol, cider is a scrumptious hot beverage that combines spicy cinnamon and cloves with apples and oranges, creating a unique, zesty flavor perfect for cool fall nights. These rich notes are further enhanced when bourbon is added to the mix, resulting in a superb boozy concoction," Faragher says.
4 cups apple cider
1 Tbsp orange juice
2 cinnamon sticks, divided
3 whole cloves
1 star anise
2 oz. bourbon whiskey
Orange slice, seeded, for garnish
1. Place apple cider, orange juice, one cinnamon stick, cloves, and star anise in a small pot over high heat and bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer for five to ten minutes.
2. Remove from heat and strain into a pitcher.
3. In a rocks glass, combine cider mixture with bourbon. Garnish with an orange slice, cinnamon stick, and a festive spirit.
Cancer: Mother's Little Helper
Cancers are nurturers and givers by nature, which means it's easy for them to forget to take some time to treat themselves. "Mother’s Little Helper is a perfect cocktail for stressed Cancers," Faragher says. "This delicious hot beverage consists of rum, apple cider, and clove, creating a soothing sensation."
3 oz. apple cider
2 oz. dark rum
Pinch of ground cloves
1. Combine all ingredients in an Irish coffee glass, stir, and microwave for a quick sixty seconds for instant gratification.
Leo: White Wine Spritzer
The Leo values aesthetics—and everything from their clothes to their drinks reflect that. Consider the White Wine Spritzer the LBD of the cocktail world. "Leos also enjoy drinks that look as good as they taste, and the White Wine Spritzer is the perfect, versatile cocktail to match Leos' many ensembles. Just as Leos' favorite little black dress can be styled up or down, the White Wine Spritzer can seamlessly transition from a day to a night cocktail," Faragher says.
3 oz. chilled white wine
1 oz. chilled club soda
Lime wedge, for garnish
1. Pour wine into a white wine glass filled with ice.
2. Add club soda and garnish with lime wedge for a complete presentation. Sip and enjoy!
The Paloma cocktail is straightforward and smart—just like Virgos, which is why they'll like making (and sipping) on this cosmic concoction. "The Paloma—Spanish for 'dove'—is one of the most popular cocktails in Mexico. Light and fruity, the Paloma combines tequila, grapefruit soda, and lime juice to create a sophisticated flavor profile," Faragher says.
2 oz. silver tequila
1/2 oz. lime juice
12 oz. grapefruit soda
1. Add tequila and lime juice to a highball glass filled with ice.
2. Add grapefruit soda and stir briefly.
Libra: Bourbon Chai Toddy
Sophisticated, warm, and charming are three words that describe Libras and this cozy yet sophisticated cocktail. "Libras are ruled by Venus—the celestial body that governs beauty, romance, and earthly delights. The fragrant fusion of herbs and spices in the Bourbon Chai Toddy will be sure to satiate Libra’s Venusian sensibilities by offering a fully immersive, sensory experience," Faragher says.
1 oz. chai tea
1 Tbsp honey
1 oz. whiskey
1/2 oz. orange liqueur
Splash of bitters
Cinnamon stick, for garnish
1. Prepare hot chai tea and pour into an Irish coffee glass.
2. Add remaining ingredients except garnish, and stir well. Garnish with cinnamon stick.
Scorpio: Black Widow
"Scorpios will love sipping this tequila-based cocktail named after their infamous relatives," Faragher says. "This delicious refreshment combines fresh blackberries and basil leaves, creating a tart and herbal concoction. Boasting a hypnotizing crimson hue, achieved through the muddled blackberries, the Black Widow cocktail creates a wonderfully spooky ambiance."
3 blackberries, divided
3 fresh basil leaves, divided
1 1⁄2 oz. silver tequila
1 oz. lime juice
1 tsp agave nectar
1. Using a muddler or the base of a wooden spoon, muddle two blackberries and two basil leaves in a shaker.
2. Add remaining ingredients and fill shaker with ice. Shake well.
3. Strain into a martini glass filled with fresh ice.
4. Skewer a blackberry and basil leaf onto a toothpick to garnish.
Sagittarius: Fountain of Youth
"Generous Jupiter is associated with abundance and good fortune, so it’s no surprise that Sagittarians often look younger than their age. For those fiery archers who want to turn back the clock even move, the Fountain of Youth cocktail is the perfect boozy potion," Faragher says. "This revitalizing beverage combines prosecco, vodka, and elderflower liqueur with lemon juice to create a fabulously fizzy, herbal blend. Saggittarius signs can embrace their adventurous nature by whipping up this cocktail for themselves or their friends."
1 1⁄2 oz. vodka
3/4 oz. elderflower liqueur
3/4 oz. lemon juice
2 oz. prosecco
2 fresh mint leaves, for garnish
Orange slice, seeded, for garnish
1. Combine all ingredients except prosecco and garnishes in a shaker filled with ice.
2. Shake vigorously, and strain into a highball glass filled with crushed ice.
3. Add prosecco, and garnish with mint leaves and orange slice—now drink in the sparkling, youthful vitality.
Capricorn: Mezcal Margarita
Capricorns are ambitious #girlbosses and they take their drinks as seriously as their careers, and mezcal gives this drink a seriously good twist on the classic margarita. "Though tequila and mezcal are both extracted from agave plants, the two spirits are distinct," Faragher says. "While tequila is made exclusively from the blue agave plant and baked in an aboveground oven, mezcal can be created from any agave plant—there are over twenty varieties—and is prepared in a subterranean pit. Though there are many notable differences between these two Mexican alcohols, the most obvious is the taste. Capricorns will enjoy mezcal’s signature smoky flavor, which adds a wonderfully earthy base to the classic, tangy margarita cocktail."
1 1⁄2 oz. mezcal
3/4 oz. lime juice
1 oz. orange liqueur
Lime wedge, for garnish
1. Run one half lime over the rim of a rocks glass, and dip the rim in a saucer of salt.
2. Combine mezcal, lime juice, and orange liqueur into a shaker filled with ice, and shake vigorously.
3. Fill prepared glass with fresh ice, and pour in the mixture. Garnish with lime wedge.
Aquarius: Bloody Maria
The Aquarius will want to take the Bloody Mary to the next level with this cosmic cocktail idea. "The Bloody Maria is more than just a tequila-based version of the Bloody Mary: it’s a complete game changer. Unlike vodka (the base of traditional Bloody Marys), which becomes absorbed by the cocktail’s other ingredients, the tequila in a Bloody Maria maintains its prominent presence. When blended with the tomato juice, the savory notes of the agave-based alcohol create a completely new flavor profile, rich with vegetal earthiness," Faragher explains.
4 oz. tomato juice
2 oz. gold tequila
1/2 oz. lemon juice
4 dashes Worcestershire sauce
2 dashes Tabasco sauce
2 dashes Tapatio hot sauce
Pinch celery salt
Pinch ground black pepper
Lime wedge, for garnish
Lemon wedge, for garnish
Cucumber spear, for garnish
Jalapeño slice, seeded, for garnish
1. Combine all ingredients except garnishes in a shaker filled with ice.
2. Shake briefly, and strain into a pint glass filled with fresh ice.
3. Garnish with lime wedge, lemon wedge, cucumber spear, and jalapeño slice.
Pisces: Ginger Martini
"Ginger is endowed with a bright and peppery essence that provides the perfect flavor profile for a delectable cocktail. Warm and spicy, the vodka-based Ginger Martini is a terrific companion for a cold winter night," Faragher says. "Spiritual Pisces will adore the Ginger Martini that will be sure to both satisfy the senses and revitalize the soul."
3 oz. vodka
1/2 oz. ginger liqueur
Splash lime juice
Thin slice fresh ginger, for garnish
1. Chill a martini glass in the freezer for five minutes.
2. Combine all ingredients except garnish in shaker filled with ice.
3. Shake vigorously, and strain into chilled martini glass.
4. Garnish with thin slice of fresh ginger to enhance the cocktail’s inherent soothing sensations.
Excerpted from The Mixology of Astrology: Cosmic Cocktail Recipes for Every Sign by Aliza Kelly Faragher Copyright © 2018 Adams Media, a division of Simon and Schuster. Used by permission of the publisher. All rights reserved.
Find out why everyone's buzzing about botanical booze aka the new star of happy hour. And for a deeper dive on all things horoscopes, here's a guide to everything you need to know about your sign.
Loading More Posts...