Meal fatigue is real. You can only make your favorite recipes so many times before your taste buds are begging you to switch things up. But for this star chef, something that will never get old is fried rice. What's more, he's found a way to nail the perfect texture using cauliflower and broccoli rice and tons of other veggies, meaning this delicious recipe is as nutrient-rich as they come.
With years of experience, it is safe to say chef Dale Talde has mastered the art of cooking fried rice to perfection. He's finessed his recipe with exacting detail, from the temperature of the pan to the ideal ratio of flavor-packed sauces, spices, and more. In an episode of Well+Good's video series Cook With Us, Talde introduces a new way to make fried rice that's so nutritious you're going to want to make it multiple nights a week. Best part? It comes together it in less than 30 minutes.
Talde's plant-based fried rice is loaded with veggies. Instead of actual grains, this fried rice recipe is packed with a mix of cauliflower and broccoli rice, shiitake mushrooms, brussels sprouts, kimchi, ginger, and other flavorful cooking staples that make it the ultimate healthy comfort meal. "Anything you can eat in a bowl on your couch with the TV on is a win for me, so this is exactly that meal," he says. It also comes with incredibly delicious toppings, like shredded seaweed. "To me, it adds another level of umami—that real nice savoriness you want in dishes that keeps you coming back to it. It makes it feel heartier."
While this recipe includes eggs in true fried rice fashion, you can also use a substitute like Just Egg or completely ditch them to make it vegan. No matter how you wind up making this dish, it's sure to become a weeknight favorite.
For the fried vegetable rice:
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 eggs, scrambled
2 cloves of garlic, smashed and minced
1 medium onion, small diced
2 tablespoons ginger, minced
3 Thai chilis, minced
3 cups of cauliflower and broccoli rice mix
4 large shiitake mushrooms, diced
6 pcs brussels sprouts, shaved thin
1/2 cup kimchi, sliced thin
1 sheet nori or seaweed to taste
For the sauce:
1/2 cup tamari
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1 tablespoons sesame oil
1. Create the sauce by combining the tamari, rice vinegar, and sesame oil in a small bowl. Crack 2 eggs into a bowl and set aside.
2. Add a neutral oil to a hot, cast iron pan. Add the scrambled eggs to the pan, remove, and set aside once they’re cooked.
3. Add more oil, then add the garlic, onion, ginger, thai chilis, mushrooms, brussels sprouts, and kimchi to the pan to sear. After a minute, add the cauliflower and broccoli rice.
4. After the vegetables start to sear, add the scrambled eggs and the sauce. Mix until combined.
5. Separately, use your third egg to make a sunny side up egg to top your fried rice.
6. Plate the rice and add the egg on top. Top the whole dish with seaweed flakes to taste, and enjoy!
Oh hi! You look like someone who loves free workouts, discounts for cutting-edge wellness brands, and exclusive Well+Good content. Sign up for Well+, our online community of wellness insiders, and unlock your rewards instantly.
Loading More Posts...