Spring Clean Your Body With This One-Day Meal Plan
Pack up your hygge-inspired sweaters, because winter is officially over. No matter your current weather sitch, the days are lighter, colorful produce is nigh, and you're itching to get moving (you’re not the only one who found it impossible to wake up for that 6 a.m. spin class when it was still dark and freezing).
But if a winter of comfort food has you feeling bogged down, your apartment might not be the only thing that needs a reboot—a spring cleaning of your body could be in order as well.
Not sure where to start? Cassie Smith—CrossFit Games athlete and executive editor of women’s wellness brand Nourish + Bloom—says nutrition first, exercise second.
“Of course moving is paramount to your body functioning and a long life. There is lots of evidence of that. But how you eat trumps it,” Smith says. “You could sit on your butt all day and eat really healthy, and be way better off than if you ate milkshakes and hamburgers and then worked out hard every day."
And if Smith (a new mom, competitive CrossFitter, and founding member of the all-women Nourish + Bloom team) has the time to craft healthy meals, you can too. Seriously: She helped develop the brand's line of premium supplements made for women—which is all to say, Smith gets the busy life struggle.
"What sets Nourish + Bloom apart is that we made these products for women and we are a bunch of women," Smith says. "We know exactly what you need. We’re moms, we’re PhDs, we're executives. So we get it."
Plus, the team shares their wisdom on the N+B Life app, which you can turn to for workouts, life advice, and loads of healthy recipes to utilize your farmer’s market finds this spring.
Scroll down for a full day’s worth of recipes that will leave you feeling energized this spring.
Blueberry Avocado Smoothie
Start the day with everyone's fave creamy smoothie add-in. “Everybody loves avocado,” Smith says. “So we try to put it in as many recipes as possible because it’s just so good.”
Drinking this smoothie after taking your multivitamin will help you maximize its potency, according to Smith. “Multivitamins get absorbed best if you take them with healthy fats, so the Blueberry Avocado Smoothie pairs really well with the healthy fats from the avocado.”
Yields 2 smoothies
2 cups frozen blueberries
2 cups unsweetened almond milk
2 Tbsp almond butter
1 serving N+B Vanilla Spice Shake
1. Place all ingredients in a blender.
2. Pulse until smooth and creamy.
Tofu Taco Lettuce Wraps
“We liked the idea of creating a lettuce wrap, recipe because those are so popular,” Smith says. “Taco night is too—so why not bring the two together?” Time to make taco lunch a thing.
Yields 6 tacos
1 16 oz. pack firm tofu
1 Tbsp olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
Salt and pepper to taste
½ cup vegetable broth
1 Tbsp taco seasoning
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
6 leaves bib lettuce
Cilantro Lime Sauce
1 lime, juiced
½ cup plain yogurt or sour cream
¼ cup cilantro, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
1 Roma tomato, diced
¼ cup green onion, chopped
1. Heat oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat before adding tofu, garlic, salt, and pepper.
2. Add vegetable broth, taco seasoning, chili powder, and cumin.
3. Reduce heat and simmer for five minutes.
4. In a small mixing bowl, combine yogurt, lime juice, cilantro, salt, and pepper.
5. Scoop cooked tofu onto a bib lettuce leaf and top with a small scoop of cilantro lime sauce.
6. Add tomato, onion, and taco sauce and serve.
Trail Mix Protein Bites
Those days when you’re dashing between meetings and realize in a panic that your stomach is rumbling, these protein-packed bites will be a game-changer. “The trouble with these is stopping at two because they're so yummy,” Smith says.
Yields 15 to 20 bites
½ cup dry oats
2 servings Nourish + Bloom Vanilla Spice Shake
⅛ cup dried cranberries
⅛ cup pecans, chopped
⅛ cup sunflower seeds
⅓ cup almond or peanut butter
3 Tbsp honey
¼ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
1. Combine all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl.
2. With clean hands, roll into bite-sized balls.
3. Roll balls in unsweetened coconut flakes.
4. Store in refrigerator (and try to resist the temptation to eat them all at once).
Cauliflower Crust Pizza
If you consider vegan pizza an oxymoron, you need to try this cauliflower crust pizza ASAP. Just remove the mozzarella from the recipe and, voila: you have vegan deliciousness in less than one hour.
Smith loves this meal because, like most Nourish + Bloom recipes, it can be modified for various diets (feel free to get creative with your toppings) and proves that healthy eating doesn’t need to be restrictive or boring. “That was the goal with the cauliflower pizza,” she says. “Look at this cool stuff you can do with vegetables!”
Yields 1 pizza
2 cups cauliflower florets
1 tomato, sliced
1½ Tbsp ground flax seed
⅔ cup water
½ cup almond meal
½ tsp sea salt
½ tsp oregano
½ tsp garlic powder
¼ cup red sauce
½ cup mozzarella cheese
½ cup sliced mushrooms
1 green bell pepper, sliced
1. Preheat oven to 420°F.
2. Place cauliflower in food processor and pulse blend until ground into a paste.
3. Put cauliflower paste in a cheesecloth and squeeze out any excess liquid.
4. In a small bowl, mix flax seed and water. Once blended, add ground cauliflower, almond meal, sea salt, oregano, and garlic powder. Mix into a dough.
5. Press the dough into a pizza pie pan, forming a ½ inch thick crust and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until crust is fairly firm.
6. Remove crust from oven and cover with pizza sauce, leaving room at the edges for the crust. Top with green bell pepper, mushrooms, and tomato, then sprinkle with cheese and black pepper.
7. Return to oven and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes. Slice and serve.
Avocado Watermelon Salad
Serve this dreamy concoction to your friends for guaranteed props (and Instagram snaps). Plus, you won’t even need a centerpiece because of how pretty it looks on the table.
Yields 1 to 2 servings
1 avocado, cubed
1½ cups watermelon, cubed
½ cup feta cheese
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
½ lime, juiced
2 Tbsp fresh mint, chopped
1 Tbsp chives
1. Add watermelon, avocado, feta, mint, and chives to a serving bowl and set aside.
2. In a small bowl, combine olive oil and lime juice.
3. Drizzle lime oil mixture over salad and serve.
Photos: Nourish + Bloom
In partnership with Nourish + Bloom
Loading More Posts...