Where in-the-Know New Yorkers (and Their Pets) Stay Healthy in the City
Want to experience New York City like a real local? Miranda Hammer of The Crunchy Radish was born and raised on the Upper West Side, so she knows how to navigate the city like a pro. And as a pet parent to Jack Russell Terrier Henry, she pays attention to hangouts where bringing along your furry BFF is encouraged.
Click the interactive map above to explore all of Hammer's favorite NYC spots, and scroll down for the full listings.
1. Book Culture on Columbus: Browse the shelves of this Upper West Side bookstore for a wide unique cookbook selection, quirky gifts, and other literary gems—all while your pup slurps water from the canine water fountain or snags treats from behind the front counter.
2. PIER i Cafe: A coffee bar by day and open-air grill by night, this riverside spot is the perfect place to sit outside with friends (furry ones included) and watch the boats sail past while sipping a cocktail (or mocktail).
3. The Pool: This hidden gem in Central Park is the perfect spot to get away from the city's busy bustle. Plus, you can give your dog some extra freedom to run with off-leash hours before 9 a.m.
4. 97th Street Greenmarket: Open on Fridays year-round, you can always find organic, seasonal produce at this outdoor farmer's market. As one of the longest-running markets in New York City, farmers have been bringing organic fruits, veggies, eggs, fish, and more for more than 25 years (so you can trust you're getting the good stuff).
5. Irving Farm Coffee Roasters: Grab a cup of organic, fair-trade joe and snack on an avocado-cheddar croissant inside this west-side cafe with super cozy vibes. Or, sit outside and people (and dog) watch with your four-legged pal.
6. Pet food shops: Make sure your canine friend is fueled, too. Grab Castor & Pollux ORGANIX® (the only complete line of USDA organic pet food) at pet specialty stores like PetSmart and Petco and natural grocery stores like Whole Foods in New York City and nationwide.
In partnership with Castor & Pollux
Loading More Posts...