As recently discussed in a viral TikTok, thousands of users were stunned to find out that you can lift up your gas stove top in order to clean out all the gunk hiding under it. Not all gas stoves have this option, but if yours has the option to remove it, your cleaning routine is about to change.
@cashewcreamgo clean your stoves and duet me so i can see how nasty they are :-) ##fyp ##foryou♬ original sound – SAM
Before you go running to the kitchen to see if your stove top has this feature, hold up. “Refer to manufacturer instructions before disassembling any parts and lifting the stove top to ensure this method is safe for your particular appliance,” says Georgia Dixon, a grove guide at Grove Collaborative. “That helps avoid leaking gas or electrical issues.”
Cleaning under and around your stove top is easier than you think. Here’s what Dixon and Angela Bell, also a grove guide at Grove Collaborative, recommend for different types of stove tops.
How to clean the stove top
1. Gas stoves
If you can clean under your stove top:
- Take off any removable burner pieces.
- Soak removed grates and burner covers in a baking soda solution to loosen any buildup. A cast-iron scrubber can come in handy here, like the Full Circle Tenacious C Cast Iron Brush.
- Make a paste with baking soda and a bit of water: ½ cup Arm & Hammer Baking Soda + 3 tbsp water.
- Spread on the area underneath the stove top and let it sit for at least an hour. Additionally, if your grates are particularly caked on, you can use this paste there as well.
- After at least 1 hour (and up to 12), wipe away the paste. Even with these safe alternatives, you may want to use some good cleaning gloves ($18) to avoid the oven grime.
- Now that underneath your stove top is clean, continue cleaning the stove top with the instructions below.
If you can’t clean under the stove top:
- Start by making a paste with ½ cup Arm & Hammer Baking Soda + 3 tbsp water.
- Spread on the stove top and let it sit for at least an hour. Additionally, if your grates are particularly caked on, you can use this paste there as well.
- After at least 1 hour (and up to 12), wipe away the paste. Even with these safe alternatives, you may want to use some good cleaning gloves to avoid the oven grime.
- Use a good scrubber sponge $(6) and a little elbow grease if there’s still any stubborn residue.
- Finish breaking down any additional buildup by spraying with a vinegar-based cleaner (or use straight white vinegar in a spray bottle).
- Use a reusable cloth ($20) to do a final wipe-down of the stove top before replacing removed pieces.
2. Electric stoves
If you have a smooth top electric stove, cleaning is super simple; there’s nothing to remove and you can simply use a degreasing agent then wipe it down. But if your electric stove top has removable burners, there’s a certain way to go about it. “Many electric stove tops have removable burners, which is great news when you’re ready to do a deeper clean of the stove top,” Bell says.
- Make sure burners are all off and cool to the touch before starting your cleaning project.
- Remove each electric burner by pulling out the burner from the electrical element. Remove the bowl-shaped base from beneath the burner as well.
- Beneath the base, you’ll likely find some crumbs and bits of food that should be wiped out before replacing the elements. Use a sponge to wipe off any burnt-on liquids.
- To wash the base, soak in hot water, use a scouring sponge, and a degreasing dish soap to clean. Let dry completely.
- Before replacing the burners, be sure to give the stove top a deep clean. Use something that’s good for any stove top material, including glass or ceramic, including Mrs. Meyer’s Clean Day Cream Cleanser ($14). One of the active ingredients is baking soda, which is great to cut through grease but also scratch-free on smooth surfaces
- Replace bowl-shaped burner base, then replace the burner by reconnecting to the electrical element.
Oh hi! You look like someone who loves free workouts, discounts for cult-fave wellness brands, and exclusive Well+Good content. Sign up for Well+, our online community of wellness insiders, and unlock your rewards instantly.
Loading More Posts...