Want Stronger Glutes, Abs, and Hamstrings? Start With the Marching Glute Bridge
Not only will the marching glute bridge improve your strength, but it will also help stabilize your hips and pelvis, which is just as important when it comes to functioning optimally and preventing pain both in the short and long term. Before jumping straight into the marching glute bridge, make sure you've got the general movement pattern down by practicing the standard glute bridge.
Once you feel comfortable performing the standard glute bridge, it's time to upgrade to the marching variation. Although this exercise is done sans equipment, you'll still be challenged and it's important to maintain proper form throughout to avoid getting injured and to reap the benefits of this 3-in-1 move.
How to do a marching glute bridge
1. Start lying on your back with your legs bent and your feet flat on the ground approximately one to one and a half feet away from your glutes; your knees and ankles should be in one line. Feel free to adjust your foot position as needed. Your feet should be hips-width distance apart, and your arms should be fully extended with your palms flat on the ground.
2. Engage your core and squeeze your glutes.
3. With control, drive through your heels as you lift your body off the ground. Your torso should be in one straight line, your ribs shouldn't be flared, and there shouldn't be an arch in your lower back.
4. From here, flex your right foot, then lift your right foot off the ground. Don't let your hips or pelvis shift to the left or right. Be sure to keep your glutes and core engaged throughout the duration of the movement.
5. With control, lower your right foot back to the ground. Your core and glutes should be engaged and your hips should be level.
6. This counts as one rep. Repeat on the left side.
7. Continue marching for 10 reps on each leg. Repeat for three sets in total.
Oh hi! You look like someone who loves free workouts, discounts for cult-fave wellness brands, and exclusive Well+Good content. Sign up for Well+, our online community of wellness insiders, and unlock your rewards instantly.
Loading More Posts...