Best maternity jeans at-a-glance
- Best classic style maternity jeans: Gap Maternity True Waistband Full Panel Skinny Jeans with Washwell
- Best skinny maternity jeans: Good American Good Mama Full Belly
- Best casual maternity jeans: Maternity Full Panel Boyfriend Ripped Jeans
- Best boyfriend maternity jeans: HATCH The Boyfriend Maternity Jean
- Best maternity overalls: Motherhood Indigo Blue Side Panel Destructed Maternity Shortalls
- Best straight cut maternity jeans: H&M MAMA Vintage Straight Jeans
- Best budget maternity jeans: Isabel Maternity High-Rise Inset Panel Distressed Bootcut Maternity Jeans
- Best black maternity jeans: Seraphine Organic Cotton Under Bump Black Maternity Jeans
- Best maternity jeans for swollen ankles: Butter Ankle Slit Maternity Jeans by 1822 Denim
- Best plus-sized maternity jeans: Pinkblush Maternity Light Wash Distressed Cropped Plus Maternity Jeans
- Fastest shipped maternity jeans: Signature by Levi Strauss & Co. Gold Label Women’s Maternity Baby Bump Skinny Jeans
- Best selection of maternity jeans: A Pea In The Pod Paige Side Panel Verdugo Ultra Skinny Maternity Jeans
What to look for in maternity jeans
Shopping for maternity jeans requires more than just going up a size on your regular jeans. You're going to need a pair that can accommodate your growing bump so the waistband is important. Depending on your preference, you can choose between a stretchy over-the-bump waistband (which are generally the most comfortable), side panels that are stretchy and built into the side of the jeans (and look more like regular jeans), or under-the-bump bands (for those who don't want a panel right on top of the belly). You also want to look for fabric that's stretchy, so you can wear the jeans for at least a few months of the pregnancy; no one wants to keep shopping for pants every month.
Things to consider when buying maternity clothes
Since you will likely only need maternity pants or jeans for a short time, you could sell your clothes second hand after your pregnancy at a place like ThredUp, Poshmark, or TheRealReal. You could also donate to a women’s shelter or pass along to an expecting friend. Some places, like Rent the Runway, have services available where you can borrow maternity clothes and switch them out for new items as your body changes.
Some maternity items are dual-purpose, meaning you can wear them both during pregnancy and postpartum, while nursing, for example. Other items are cut in a way that isn’t necessarily considered maternity but is “bump friendly.”
Shopping while pregnant can be stressful, since your body is constantly changing and you’re probably switching sizes faster than you can say “epidural.” Keep in mind that your body is doing a lot right now, so buy things that will make you feel your best, inside and out.
Below, shop the best maternity jeans in all price points, washes, styles, and sizes.
Best classic style maternity jeans
These skinny jeans come in 10 sizes and three lengths, in a dark indigo wash. The classic shape has a large over-the-belly panel to keep you feeling comfortable and secure. It’s slim cut through the hips and thighs, but thanks to the stretch denim material, it won’t feel too constricting.
- Over-the-belly panel
- Stretchy material
- Made with 13% recycled cotton
- Short in length
Best skinny maternity jeans
These skinny jeans have a full belly band you can pull over your belly for extra coverage and support. The classic blue wash goes with just about everything, giving you a casual look that’s extra comfy.
- Full coverage belly band
- No waist band
- Inclusive size range
- Runs small
Best casual maternity jeans
These trendy, ripped jeans are casual and cute, and perfect for fall. The straight cut has a lived-in feel, and the pair features a mid-rise waist. There is a large, full panel waistband to go over your belly. The cropped length hits just above the ankle. Sizes range from 0 to 20, with short, regular, and long inseam options.
- Full-panel waistband
- Mid-rise waist
- Not very stretchy
Best boyfriend maternity jeans
HATCH is a go-to for before, during, and after pregnancy, and this boyfriend jean is the stuff dreams are made of. The relaxed fit jean comes in two colors—destroyed light wash and indigo—and is incredibly stretchy. They have HATCH’s signature grow-with-you bamboo/spandex wedge and custom buttons and rivets. Sizing ranges from 25 to 34.
- Grow-with-you spandex wedge
- Don’t look like maternity jeans
- May have to try a few sizes to get the right one
Best maternity overalls
For an adorable summertime look, these overall shorts have side panels to accommodate your growing bump. The laid-back look is both fun and functional, and machine washable. Adjustable straps also lend more give as you grow throughout your 40 weeks. These shortalls have a 5-star rating from almost 400 reviews, come in two colors, and sizes XS through XL.
- Adjustable straps so you can wear them during your whole pregnancy
- Stretchy material
- Only for warmer weather
Best straight cut maternity jeans
These stretchy, cotton-blend jeans are cropped at the ankle and cut straight for maximum comfort. A large jersey panel fits over the belly, and is made from partly recycled cotton. The jeans come in three washes, in sizes XS to XXL. You can buy them both in-store and online.
- Jersey waist panel
- Relaxed in the leg
- Soft cotton blend is partly recycled
- Sizing may be inconsistent between colors
Best budget maternity jeans
These fit-and-flare jeans sit comfortably below the belly, and feature stretch panels at the front pockets. The dark wash lends itself to match any outfit, and spandex adds stretch to the shape. The true fly button and zipper allows wear during pregnancy and postpartum since they run true to your pre-pregnancy size. Available in sizes 00 through 18.
- Sits under the belly
- Stretch panels at the pockets
- Lower rise may fall down more often
Best black maternity jeans
This brand, loved by celebs like Kate Middleton, Jessica Alba, Anne Hathaway, and more, offers a ton of stylish and classic maternity essentials. We love their denim, especially these black jeans made of organic cotton. They feature a stretchy under-bump band that is comfy and cozy (they have over the belly options as well). The jeans come in sizes US 2 to US 14, with petite, regular, and long options available.
- Fits under the bump
- Stretch jersey panel
- Made from organic and recycled materials
- Lower rise may fall down more often
Best maternity jeans for swollen ankles
My ankles were severely swollen during my pregnancy and after my cesarean. These cute ankle jeans have little adorned slits, giving your calves some much needed breathing room. The stretch panel that goes over-the-bump provides support, and the jeans are an easy-to-wear pull-on style. Sizing runs from 00 to 12, and runs large, so the brand recommends ordering one size down. Nordstrom provides free shipping and free returns, and also offers wrapping if you’re purchasing a gift.
- Stretch waist panel
- Pull on
- Soft and stretchy material
- Runs large
Best plus-size maternity jeans
These distressed denim jeans have a raw hem and an elastic over-belly waistband. Available in sizes 1X to 3X, the five-pocket jeans are slightly cropped, though one review notes they are long for “cropped” jeans. The light wash is stylish and casual—perfect to pair with a sweater this fall and winter.
- Elastic over-the-belly waistband
- Distressed look and raw hem for style
- Long in length
Fastest shipped maternity jeans
Amazon has a lot of great maternity denim, and you can’t go wrong with a pair from the classic brand Levi Strauss. These jeans come in four washes and include both under-belly and over-belly options. Sizing ranges from XS to XL. Prime shipping will get these jeans to you quickly, or try Amazon’s “prime wardrobe” option where you get seven days to “try before you buy.” Order up to eight items and try them on at home. Only pay for what you want to keep and return the rest for free.
- Over-the-belly waist panel has a cross-back detail to provide lower back support
- Pull on
- Jeans may roll down
Oh hi! You look like someone who loves free workouts, discounts for cutting-edge wellness brands, and exclusive Well+Good content. Sign up for Well+, our online community of wellness insiders, and unlock your rewards instantly.
Loading More Posts...